PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Consumers and Professionals

Eric Roberge
11-12-2009, 6:57 PM
To all active and retired military personnel, Happy Veterans Day and Thank You for serving!

I want to pose a question to the Creek if I could. I currently own a business in the service industry and I’m looking for input from you, as professionals and general consumers on what products and or services you use or would like to see more readily available.

I’m looking to expand my business opportunities and wanted to get some feedback from people that share my passion here at the Creek. What’s needed during this economy? What enhancement(s) would you like to see on a certain product(s)?

No limit on your answers, so it can surround any topic like hobbies, sports, business needs, etc…

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mitchell Andrus
11-12-2009, 7:29 PM
Taking on product improvement will be a challenge. Instead, focus on the PERCEPTION of product/service quality. Find a way to make the people we all depend on for help and assistance a little more friendly and reliable. A simple example:

I frequent Home Depots in Watchung, NJ and So. Plainfield, NJ and have been for 12 years. The employees in these 2 stores divert their eyes and walk on past. I rarely see the same crew for more than a few months before the faces change.

In Sept. I bought a new house in NC and I've been to NC 3 times, a 1 week visit each time. In the Hendersonville, NC HD, I know many of the store associates on a first name basis, and they know me. Even when I don't need help it's a pleasure just to have a few words... because they care about me. My impression is that my needs are closest to being met by people I've just met and not by the employees in stores I've gone to for a decade or more. Same products, different perception of value.

Find a way to fix THAT and you'll have full time employment.

curtis rosche
11-12-2009, 8:03 PM
whats needed during this economy? items that are normally bought assembled and at a high price, to be offered at a lower price unassembled and have a high quality.
to many companies have done this, but failed at the quality part,

Joe Pelonio
11-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I read today that Walmart has made a profit this year, and McDonalds has done so well they are planning to open 1,000 new stores next year. A woman in my vanpool said she thought she would never set foot in Walmart but now goes there weekly. I think the word is "inexpensive."

Gene Howe
11-13-2009, 7:25 AM
I read today that Walmart has made a profit this year, and McDonalds has done so well they are planning to open 1,000 new stores next year. A woman in my vanpool said she thought she would never set foot in Walmart but now goes there weekly. I think the word is "inexpensive."

Somebody once counseled: "If you would live with the masses, sell to the rich. If you would live with the rich, sell to the masses."

OTOH, Festool and Bridge City seem to prosper.

My sister is an executive with the McDonalds Corp. She says they have had a great year this year. Coincidentally, their stores in Walmarts are showing more profit than some of their better producing stand alone stores. I'd imagine due to the difference in overhead.

But, back to the OP's query. I wouldn't compromise my product's quality or decrease my customer service in an attempt to gain business. If anything, increase both, where possible.

Carlos Alden
11-13-2009, 8:51 PM
Somebody once counseled: "If you would live with the masses, sell to the rich. If you would live with the rich, sell to the masses."

OTOH, Festool and Bridge City seem to prosper.

My sister is an executive with the McDonalds Corp. She says they have had a great year this year. Coincidentally, their stores in Walmarts are showing more profit than some of their better producing stand alone stores. I'd imagine due to the difference in overhead.

But, back to the OP's query. I wouldn't compromise my product's quality or decrease my customer service in an attempt to gain business. If anything, increase both, where possible.

That's an interesting statement. One of the reasons I will not go to Walmart is that the employees tend not to know much about the product, nor do they care very much about giving me much help. I have also found that they tend to have the lower quality items in a given product range. Granted this may only be because I have seen but a few Walmarts. If there is a Walmart out there that has knowledgeable staff that care about customers (as evidenced by giving attention and assistance to shoppers with accurate and helpful product information) and carry high quality merchandise I'd like to know.

Carlos

Brian Kent
11-13-2009, 11:33 PM
I don't know what kind of service industry you have, but here are a variety of issues:

1) Get you certifications in order. For instance, our church has been searching for a caterer that can provide a simple dinner for a reasonable price - and that is licensed.

2) Get a good, simple website that has the info I want in a couple of clicks.

3) Respond to calls and e-mails before the competition does.

4) Do a decent job. Be trustworthy. No tricks. No manipulation. Just reliable.

5) Charge an affordable price, whether or not it is the bottom-scraping lowest. I don't mind the $45 price instead of $35 if I'm sure of the quality. I often will choose the middle bid instead of the lowest.

6) Along the way, make human contact with the people you serve. Not a formula, but an honest hand shake and a look in the eye. Listen and respond to their needs within your business plan.

7) I want to find the gem people in every part of life. I want to feel safe - bases covered - trained licensed and insured. And then if I like you, I will call you every single time I need your service.

Good luck.

Brian

Brian Elfert
11-14-2009, 12:42 AM
I would never expect anyone at Walmart to know much of anything about any of the products. Could you know something about each of 1000s of different products?

If one needs to know something about a product go to a store that specializes in that type of product, but expect to pay more for the service.

Eric Roberge
11-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I appreciate the feedback so far, but I think I wasn't as clear as I could have been when asking the original question. I already have a business and great processes in place. Now I'm looking to open another business, maybe a web based business, so that I can expand to an international market. If that's the case, more than likely it will have to be a tangible product and not necessarily a service.

I'm looking for ideas on products that people need (or want) that may not be as available to them as they like. Maybe it's a product that you use regularly, but really needs improvement. It's a tough market out there right now and I'm just curious as to what's the "need".

Thanks everyone!

Oh...the Wal-Mart thing, that's funny.:D

Michael Trivette
11-14-2009, 11:57 PM
1 gallon
2.5 gallon
5 gallon
10 gallon

cant get then any where

Greg Peterson
11-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Eric - are you an inventor/entrepreneur looking for a consensus on what product or goods you could produce and distribute?

Just curious.

Paul Atkins
11-15-2009, 2:42 AM
Make a computer operating system that is totally backward compatible, will run on many types of hardware, self diagnosing and repairing, and is simple and intuitive. Priceless--------

Chuck Wintle
11-15-2009, 7:44 AM
Make a computer operating system that is totally backward compatible, will run on many types of hardware, self diagnosing and repairing, and is simple and intuitive. Priceless--------

Paul,
Linux ubuntu is almost there in that regard....not perfect yet but no system is. as an alternative to MS it is quite good. And it is free!:D

Eric Roberge
11-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Eric - are you an inventor/entrepreneur looking for a consensus on what product or goods you could produce and distribute?

Just curious.

Greg,

Entrepreneur. My interest run deep and I'm looking for a new adventure that will keep my interest. You know, like everyone says... I want to do something that I enjoy. Or something that is at least tied to something that I enjoy:p

Thanks Greg:)

Carlos Alden
11-16-2009, 7:25 PM
I would never expect anyone at Walmart to know much of anything about any of the products. Could you know something about each of 1000s of different products?

If one needs to know something about a product go to a store that specializes in that type of product, but expect to pay more for the service.

That's exactly what I do. I try to shop locally when I can - and I usually get a close price to the box stores like Wally, but more importantly I get decent knowledge about the products and keep the money more in the community. It fries me to ask a question about something and have the salesperson pick up the box I've been looking at and read it to me. What do they think I've been doing for the last ten minutes?

And, yes, I would expect even Wally sales people to know something about the products that are in their area. Why not? The original poster asked "What’s needed during this economy? What enhancement(s) would you like to see on a certain product(s)?" Product knowledge, courtesy, and customer attention are pretty important in my book, and they're not easily found at Wally.

Carlos