PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced moisture meter

Erik Stol
11-12-2009, 4:46 PM
A simple question: what are reasonable priced moisurelevel meters for wood and which one do you prefer? And yes I know value for money.

David Keller NC
11-12-2009, 5:57 PM
I know folks with Lignomat, Wagner, and Delmhorst meters - all work well in the precision range requried for woodworking (i.e., +/- 2% MC or so). Within each brand, the less expensive models will have less granularity in the reading range, and fewer automated features. The lowest priced ones will usually not correct for density automatically.

Not sure about the Netherlands, but in the US, I'd consider about $150 the floor below which one might want to consider spending a bit more for a bit better meter.

Caleb Larru
11-12-2009, 6:03 PM
I know folks with Lignomat, Wagner, and Delmhorst meters - all work well in the precision range requried for woodworking (i.e., +/- 2% MC or so). Within each brand, the less expensive models will have less granularity in the reading range, and fewer automated features. The lowest priced ones will usually not correct for density automatically.

Not sure about the Netherlands, but in the US, I'd consider about $150 the floor below which one might want to consider spending a bit more for a bit better meter.

So I guess you are try to say the one I got from Harbor Freight for $9 is a pretty much worthless? :D

Michael Schwartz
11-12-2009, 6:05 PM
I own the timber-check sold by lee valley and it works quite nicely, plus it is pretty rugged and simple to use.

David Keller NC
11-12-2009, 9:42 PM
So I guess you are try to say the one I got from Harbor Freight for $9 is a pretty much worthless? :D

Hmm - Well, technically, a $10 floor scale on sale at Target is a moisture meter if correctly used, but I'm thinking that's not what the OP had in mind....

John Shaffner
11-12-2009, 11:46 PM
I've got a HF moisture meter and I compared it to a Lignomat that's my friend's and there is maybe 1% differential between the two. There ARE some HF gems out there.
John

John Coloccia
11-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a Wagner...the one designed for thin stock (L209 maybe). The thing never ever worked properly (I think it might be discontinued). I don't know about the other Wagners, but I'm soured on the pinless density measurement solution. I think the higher end ones might work better, but they're pretty expensive.

Now I have an analog Delmhorst meter and couldn't be happier. I really like being able to see the needle move, call me old fashioned. I use it mostly for instrument building, so I'm pretty obsessive about having very well seasoned and dry wood. When I stick it in, and the needle basically doesn't move, I feel good about using that piece for a neck, for example. So I don't really care about moisture content as much as I want a go/no-go indicator since everything I buy is already seasoned and I just have to wait for it to acclimate to my nice, dry shop.

What did you plan on using it for?

Paul Johnstone
11-13-2009, 1:06 PM
I have this one

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12487

I think it's adequate. Spend a couple more cents on something else and you get free shipping.

Mike Tidd
11-13-2009, 1:52 PM
Erik

I too am looking at getting a moisture meter now and am considering what Mike schartz recommended, ( Timber check) in case you go that route here's a Uk site that has them and might save on shipping costs.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp

Mike Tidd
11-13-2009, 1:56 PM
Erik

I too am looking at getting a moisture meter now and am considering what Mike schwartz recommended, ( Timber check) in case you go that route here's a Uk site that has them and might save on shipping costs.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp

Spelling error, Mike Schwartz

Larry Edgerton
11-14-2009, 6:37 AM
Having been bit in the wallet to the tune of several thousand dollars when a less expensive Lignomat malfunctioned I no longer believe in saving money on a moisture meter. I now use a Delmhorst J2000, and I have it checked yearly. It has been right for some 15 years now.