PDA

View Full Version : mp2 decoders

Prashun Patel
11-12-2009, 4:40 PM
Does anyone know of a free mp2 decoder so you can play those dvd's on yr pc?

Dennis McGarry
11-12-2009, 5:40 PM
There are so many to list, a simple google search would have turned up a ton...

but to simplify your life...

http://files.uberdownloads.com/apps/lps/index.php?product=vlc

Prashun Patel
11-12-2009, 5:48 PM
Thanks, Dennis. actually I have that one. I shoulda been more clear. I'm looking for a FREE, RELIABLE, and REPUTABLE plug in to Windows Media Player....
Thanks for your link, though.!!!!!

Paul Atkins
11-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Windows doesn't just play DVDs? Hmmm

Jerome Hanby
11-13-2009, 8:45 AM
If you get a copy of PowerDVD, you end up with the codec you need and Windows Media player (or most anything else) will play DVDs. I actually like the PowerDVD application for normal PC DVD viewing, but it really came in handy when I started using a CBuilder component that was a wrapper for media player.

Randal Stevenson
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Windows doesn't just play DVDs? Hmmm

Only if they are unencrypted. This has been the basis of a long argument for and against Linux. Their was a company that developed a licensed DVD player for Linux, and wouldn't sell it separately (it only came on very few machines and then mostly sold in another country). You can do more research on DVD Jon (I believe that is the spelling), and find such players as VLC, which are legal in some countries and the codec is illegal in others.

LONG ago (Windows, 98 I believe) and early on, Windows media player would by default play dvd's, but an update killed that (part of the whole Microsoft DRM stuff).