PDA

View Full Version : New bowls

Matt Newton
11-12-2009, 4:19 PM
I finally have some bowls I want to post. I have been doing this for about a year and boy is it fun. I hope the pictures come through. They are 2 cherry, 1 NE ash and a maple. Is the maple considered spalted or stained? Any comments or critiques are welcome. Especially in reguards to form.

Mark Burge
11-12-2009, 4:26 PM
Nice work Matt. I especially like the cherry pieces. The straight edge and the rounded opening on the foot make the first one very elegant. The second one is well balanced and looks great too. I think you did a good job on the NE form but it doesn't seem to stand out from the others. IMHO the last one seems a bit out of proportion with the rim being so much wider than the bowl, but the wood is very nice. I would call it spalted, but I'm no expert on that. Glad you found some bowls that you want to post. - happy turning

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2009, 4:42 PM
Nice work on all the bowls Matt! I also like the Cherry with the scalloped foot - cool idea! Also, not to sure on the form of the Maple bowl but it is different and when it comes to turning - different is good! Agree that the Maple looks like it is beginning to spalt.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Skip Spaulding
11-12-2009, 5:16 PM
Very nice on all, but #1 really jumps out as a "winner"! Great work.

Steve Mawson
11-12-2009, 5:32 PM
Matt,
Very nice bowls. Like the first cherry one, nice design on the foot. Might have to steal that idea. My guess on the maple is that you have a nice mix of heart wood and sap wood which is giving the color that you see.

Kenneth Whiting
11-12-2009, 6:05 PM
Nice bowls. I especially like 1 and 3.

David E Keller
11-12-2009, 6:07 PM
Very cool stuff. I really like the foot treatment on the first bowl. Thanks for posting the pics.

Roger Wilson
11-12-2009, 7:02 PM
I finally have some bowls I want to post. Any comments or critiques are welcome... Especially in reguards to form.

Very nice. The first bowl is particularly interesting. If you have some pix of the feet that would be nice to see.

Dennis Ford
11-12-2009, 7:25 PM
Good work on all of them, # 2 is my favorite with #1 a close second. I think the natural edge one could use a little more curve to the form. The fourth is a very unusual form.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2009, 7:34 PM
Good looking bowls. I like #1 and #3.

Gerold Griffin
11-12-2009, 8:43 PM
Real nice job on all of them but the last one is my choice overall. I like the foot on the first one but the shape on the last one is just diffierant enough to grab my attention and keep it. Good Job!!

ROY DICK
11-12-2009, 9:41 PM
Heck I like them all good job.

Roy