PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic planer

Troy John
11-12-2009, 3:18 PM
I just got rid of my delta 12 bench top planer and want to upgrade to a larger unit. With the powermatic deal coming up Ive been looking at their 20" planer with straight knife's, mostly becouse I deal alot in wider peices, but I cant help think about their 15" planer-moulder.
Has anyone ever mounted moulding knives in their standard planer?
Ive heard it can be done but never seen it. What makes the 15" planer-moulder different than others? (a few jigs to align moulding knives and a fence system to run the material in) any input is helpful. Thanks

Michael Schwartz
11-12-2009, 3:40 PM
If your buying a new machine I would strongly suggest taking the plunge and getting a helical cutterhead with carbide inserts. It is much easier and cheaper just to buy a machine with one than upgrade later.

Not only are they quiet, the finish is better, and you can easily plane the most figured woods. The inserts are also pretty easy to rotate and with light use will last you many years.

I don't know anything about combination planer/moulders but I have never seen a shop with one which means unless you really need a moulder you could could probably live without one.

Both the 15, and 20 inch powermatics are very nice machines. I would strongly consider the carbide head though.

Jim Eller
11-12-2009, 3:52 PM
Like Michael. Go helical.

Love my PM 209HH. It takes any thing you throw at it(except metal):)

Jim

Mike Heidrick
11-12-2009, 4:31 PM
I have a Jet 13" planer molder and just use it for molding. I doubt you can go helical head/Byrd with a planer/moulder machine. There are multiple gibs sized for the moulding knives on the head.

The PM is just bigger than the 13" models and more powerful.

I do not think I would want my planer machine to be a combo with moulding - better to get dedicated. Get a great planer (Byrd if you want helical) and then invest in a moulder like a Shop Fox or W&H. Have the best of both worlds.

Greg Hawthorne
11-12-2009, 4:48 PM
Troy, note that the standard PM cutterhead has four knives, which gives a good result if all are sharp and perfectly aligned. In case you haven't been convinced that helical cutterhead is the way to go, find someone with a PM planer (standard cutterhead) and offer to align the knives for them!