PDA

View Full Version : Delta DL40

Jay Jagerson
11-12-2009, 2:24 PM
Saw this CL listing on here in the Deal Section, thought I would ask here about it, I think more turners just look here and not in the deal section.

This is the Quote from the add.

"Nice DL40 delta for sale. Has digital speed control ranging 300 to 2200 RPM. Has additional tool rest not pictured. Can spin up to 16" by 56". Has a 1.25hp DC General Electric Motor. Same lathe as Norm has in the New Yankee Workshop. Sold for $2600 in 1992. Asking $850"

From what I have read they had a fair amount of problems with the drive on these units, any truth to this?

Anybody have and run one of these?

I'm still looking for the right deal to come along:)

Dont worry, I wont wait years!

Thanks

Jay

Jay Jagerson
11-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I check CL again and this person droped the price. Looks like he found an issue with the lathe. Can a person modify this thing/update it? Or is it really a lost cause? Here is what the add says now.

"Same lathe Norm uses in the New Yankee Workshop. Has 1 1/4" chuck, 24 notch indexing. rpm control 300-2200rpm. 56" by 16" capability, 1 1/4 horse DC motor. Lathe occasionally stops running and reverse is broken. My loss your gain, all the hard steel is in perfect condition, the brains are in question. A decent price to pay at $600 when this lathe was bought for $2600 new in 1992. "

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Jay

Glenn Weathington
11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
If the lathe is in good working order mechanically, perhaps. If I had the means to do so, I'd buy it for $600. A new motor and VFD would make this lathe compete with the new lathes in this class for about half the price.

Steve Mawson
11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Don't know what a new motor would cost but should be a great lathe with new motor and variable speed.

Jay Jagerson
11-13-2009, 1:09 PM
that was my thought, I think it would be hard to sell a lathe like that with the current issues.

Would be nice to know of someone who has change out the motor/vfd!

Just would not want to stick $500 into a $600 lathe if you know what I mean.

Glenn Weathington
11-13-2009, 4:47 PM
that was my thought, I think it would be hard to sell a lathe like that with the current issues.

Would be nice to know of someone who has change out the motor/vfd!

Just would not want to stick $500 into a $600 lathe if you know what I mean.

Jay, you have a point. You could possibly 'low ball' the overall cost of the motor and VFD to about $350 or so from Surplus Center. $1200 for a variable speed lathe is still a very good deal.

Glenn

Jeremy Muns
12-22-2009, 2:52 PM
Delta used to offer a Variable Frequency Drive unit and a 2hp, three phase motor requiring only a single phase 220v input (both from Baldor) as a kit to replace the DC motor and electronic control unit. This would allow 0-3000 RPM, infinately variable. It cost $400 but is no longer offered from Delta. I have found VFD's for a 2hp motor for as little as $110 and three phase motors new are just over $200.

The lathe offered on Craigslist is now sitting in my shop (you snooze, you lose ;) ) ; He came down to half his original asking price and I'm sure still made money from where he bought it at a State auction. I will say that it didn't come with the outboard turning table, though the outboard tool rest did. I'll have to fabricate a table somehow... So far, the lathe seems to work well using the DC variable speed drive, though its days are probably numbered.

Jay Jagerson
12-22-2009, 3:41 PM
Very cool, I saw that add again the other day and thought about it agian but I have enough projects I need to get done!

Glad you got it and hope it works out for you.

Jay