PDA

View Full Version : Completed Granite Nameplate

Belinda Barfield
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
The customer wanted something traditional, yet different. Twenty-one nameplates for a council chamber, engraved and color filled. The names needed to be easy to read, and show up well for the TV cameras. These are pretty large at 10 x 5.25. I don't have stone resurfacing equipment, so the challenge was what to do about the rough back of the stone on the upright. Solution was to grind it smooth and apply fabric with the city's logo - laser engraved of course! I was a little worried about how the fabric was going to look on the finished product, but I think looks pretty good.

I did try two other methods for non permanent lettering so when council members change we could just change the lettering. The first was Ikon metal, the second was Lasermax. The required visibility just wasn't there with either product.

What do guys think? Should I have done anything different? Alternatives for removable lettering?

Front

Back

Stephen Kane
11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Belinda

They both look good, but I'm confused (I know not the first time..)
The mayor sign appears to me to be a granite insert that is sandblasted /laserengraved and infilled and mounted on a decorative granite mount and looks good.
The fabric also looks clear, but why cover granite with fabric?
I understand that the names will change, but why not use a granite insert?

Stephen

Dan Hintz
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Stephen,

I believe Belinda used the fabric to cover the rough backside of the granite (not polished smooth like the front). It looks like she used a strip of pre-edged backsplash, cut it to appropriate length, and set it atop another piece of backsplash.

Belinda,

I'm always amazed how such a simple idea (using pre-existing products, like that backsplash) turns out such unique, custom-looking designs. I think the felt/fabric was a good decision to cover the rough side, but engraving it with something really took it to the customized level of design. Very nice.

Dee Gallo
11-12-2009, 1:06 PM
I agree with Dan - and the finishing touch of the engraved fabric is actually nicer than plain granite on both sides would have been. Great way to solve a problem in a simple and elegant way, Belinda!

The name is quite visible, the overall look is dignified - good work!

cheers, dee

Belinda Barfield
11-12-2009, 1:52 PM
Hi Belinda

They both look good, but I'm confused (I know not the first time..)
The mayor sign appears to me to be a granite insert that is sandblasted /laserengraved and infilled and mounted on a decorative granite mount and looks good.
The fabric also looks clear, but why cover granite with fabric?
I understand that the names will change, but why not use a granite insert?

Stephen

Stephen,
The back of the nameplate will be viewed by the council members, so I wanted it to look nice as well. That's the purpose for the fabric.

The customer didn't want a granite insert.

Stephen,

I believe Belinda used the fabric to cover the rough backside of the granite (not polished smooth like the front). It looks like she used a strip of pre-edged backsplash, cut it to appropriate length, and set it atop another piece of backsplash.

Belinda,

I'm always amazed how such a simple idea (using pre-existing products, like that backsplash) turns out such unique, custom-looking designs. I think the felt/fabric was a good decision to cover the rough side, but engraving it with something really took it to the customized level of design. Very nice.

Actually Dan, these were made "from scratch". You could use a pre-edged product. We have all of the stone fabrication equipment so it's pretty easy to take it from slab to finished product.

Thanks all for your kind comments!

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-12-2009, 2:15 PM
Should you have done anything different? No. It looks amazing!

What type of fabric did you use? It looks like wood.

Belinda Barfield
11-12-2009, 2:21 PM
Should you have done anything different? No. It looks amazing!

What type of fabric did you use? It looks like wood.

Thanks Mike. The fabric faux suede with a heathered texture (at least that's how the manufacturer describes it). :rolleyes:

Sarah Holbrook
11-12-2009, 5:19 PM
Nice use of materials Belinda. The fabric looks really smart. Since there is so much embellishment on the top and bottom I think the nameplate would look a better with more space on the left and right sides (i.e. have a wider plate or smaller text).

Brian Jacobs
11-12-2009, 6:17 PM
Belinda,

Great work. In my opinion, by making the names permanent, it seems like you insured yourself a bit of repeat business. Sounds like a good business plan to me! :)

Belinda Barfield
11-12-2009, 6:20 PM
Nice use of materials Belinda. The fabric looks really smart. Since there is so much embellishment on the top and bottom I think the nameplate would look a better with more space on the left and right sides (i.e. have a wider plate or smaller text).

Thanks for the input Sarah. This was the second to longest name. The customer decided on the size of the font for visibility, and the size of the plate, so that was sort of out of my hands.

Belinda Barfield
11-12-2009, 6:23 PM
Belinda,

Great work. In my opinion, by making the names permanent, it seems like you insured yourself a bit of repeat business. Sounds like a good business plan to me! :)

Temporary lettering would have meant repeat business as well. The plates themselves are not that easy to fabricate. 21 nameplates required a total of 53 hours to fabricate. Customer LOVES them though, so I'm not complaining.

Stephen Kane
11-13-2009, 3:51 AM
Thanks all for clarifying, and again well done Belinda.

Stephen

Mike Null
11-13-2009, 4:59 AM
Very nice work and very fitting for the application.