PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek as machine covers?

mark kosse
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm forced to store my tools in my garage here in damp old Houston, TX. Last night I spent the evening waxing my saws and I got to thinking. I'm remodling my house and got my first experience with tyvek. I'm thinking of sewing some saw covers out of it. It seems to be an excellent material for covers. Dow states that it is water repellent yet say it also breathes. I'll attest it's tough, and light, two things I'd like in covers.

Anyone ever do this?

Myk Rian
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I use it to make a diaper for the wifes' car in the garage.
I lay it on the floor so slush drips onto the Tyvek. When the car is out of the garage, I take a broom to sweep it out the door.
Should be OK for a tool cover. Not a bad idea.

Bob Borzelleri
11-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Some time back, I read an ad for tyvek machine covers. Don't recall where and haven't seen it since.

Kev Godwin
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Mark,
It will work well for machine covers. I have used them for nearly 9 years without any problems. I also use Tyvek to cover electronics in my shop also.

If you are in a fairly humid environment in which I deal with a few months out of the year, you will want to make sure you have circulation below the covers. I use short scrap pieces of PVC pipe as spacers and it is compatable with the Tyvek and will not hurt your cast-iron tops. It works very well and is very inexpensive.
Kev

Dan Manning
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Off topic here, I'm sure, but, has any one ever come across those large mailing envelopes made of tyvek? Durable, light material.
On topic though, I believe it would make an ideal cover-all. Easy to work with and not as awkward as canvas, etc. As for the 'damp' issue, is there any industrial dessicant products like in the pouches shipped in electronics?

Jason White
11-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I know that my wife and I wanted to store an oriental rug for an extended period of time in our basement, so the cleaner wrapped it up in Tyvek to prevent moisture problems inside.

I bet it would work great for machines. I do have one of the "breathable" machine covers from HTC and they're quite well-made. I usually forget to use it, though. Seems to work OK, but no substitute for keeping the table waxed.

It also has built-in magnets for holding it in place. Good for keeping sanding dust and finish splatters off of things, too.

Jason

I'm forced to store my tools in my garage here in damp old Houston, TX. Last night I spent the evening waxing my saws and I got to thinking. I'm remodling my house and got my first experience with tyvek. I'm thinking of sewing some saw covers out of it. It seems to be an excellent material for covers. Dow states that it is water repellent yet say it also breathes. I'll attest it's tough, and light, two things I'd like in covers.

Anyone ever do this?

mark kosse
11-13-2009, 8:31 AM
Dan, I know there are various size boxes of dessicant that are renewed in the oven. I used to see them so I'd google it and see what comes up.

I'm looking for some tyvek on craigslist. I kinda don't want to buy a new 90.00 roll. I post some pics when I make some covers.

Eric DeSilva
11-13-2009, 1:42 PM
Can someone who knows discuss why covering a tool helps? I understand covering it if it is in the rain. But if it is inside, the theory is to prevent condensation, right? If that is the case, then what you are trying to avoid is big temperature differentials between the ambient air and the tool's metal surfaces, right? If my theory is right, Tyvek won't do much--what you need is an insulating layer so that the big metal machines warm/cool gradually relative to the outside air?

mark kosse
11-13-2009, 2:17 PM
maybe it just keeps the cat from sleeping on them.

some people like covers.

Dan Manning
11-13-2009, 2:57 PM
Let me see if I can do this without messing it up...
Without a cover, you get sudden changes and humidity levels fluctuate. With a cover, it's a sort of constant even control, albiet with some temp changes. Plus, with the dessicant material present, the humidity/moisture level is easy to control.

My shop is in my basement, so I haven't an issue. Another shop I know of is in a detached garage, no air quality control, and it shows, not only on the equipment, but the wood-stock.

Hope I made sense somehow.

Jason White
11-13-2009, 3:24 PM
Water vapor in the air condenses when it hits a cold surface, like your cast-iron machine tables.

The machine covers prevent that from happening.

Jason

Can someone who knows discuss why covering a tool helps? I understand covering it if it is in the rain. But if it is inside, the theory is to prevent condensation, right? If that is the case, then what you are trying to avoid is big temperature differentials between the ambient air and the tool's metal surfaces, right? If my theory is right, Tyvek won't do much--what you need is an insulating layer so that the big metal machines warm/cool gradually relative to the outside air?

Eric DeSilva
11-13-2009, 8:05 PM
The machine covers prevent that from happening.

Why? I have a hard time seeing Tyvek creating a humidity differential between inside the cover and out--esp. since someone indicated that it is water vapor permeable. In other words, the humidity inside the cover is just the same out outside (unless you are using a large dessicant).

I would think you would want a cover that is insulating so that the temperature differential changes more slowly, so the cast iron heats and cools more slowly. That is why I wouldn't think Tyvek would work--it isn't an insulator. I'd use a heavy blanket.

Maybe I'm wrong and it does create a humidity differential. That just seems odd tho'.

Jason White
11-13-2009, 8:10 PM
Tyvek is designed to let water vapor escape from exterior walls, but prevent water and air intrusion from outside.

http://www.siding4u.com/Products-n-Services/tyvek_home_wrap.htm

Jason

Why? I have a hard time seeing Tyvek creating a humidity differential between inside the cover and out--esp. since someone indicated that it is water vapor permeable. In other words, the humidity inside the cover is just the same out outside (unless you are using a large dessicant).

I would think you would want a cover that is insulating so that the temperature differential changes more slowly, so the cast iron heats and cools more slowly. That is why I wouldn't think Tyvek would work--it isn't an insulator. I'd use a heavy blanket.

Maybe I'm wrong and it does create a humidity differential. That just seems odd tho'.

Rob Sack
11-15-2009, 3:29 PM
Having used Tyvek as a housewrap, I think it would make an excellent machine cover as long as the Tyvek is facing the right way. According to Dupont, the manufacturer, Tyvek will prevent water penetration better than tar paper felt when the water is attempting to penetrate through the surface that is imprinted with the Tyvek logo (outside surface). They also claim that water will easily penetrate from the inside surface out. As long as the printed logo is facing out, the Tyvek should keep all moisture off the machine, and any moisture build up inside or on top of the machine that is present before covering should easily evaporate out.

Jason White
11-15-2009, 3:57 PM
The "breathable" machine covers that HTC makes work the same way. They allow water vapor to go one way and not the other.

Jason

Having used Tyvek as a housewrap, I think it would make an excellent machine cover as long as the Tyvek is facing the right way. According to Dupont, the manufacturer, Tyvek will prevent water penetration better than tar paper felt when the water is attempting to penetrate through the surface that is imprinted with the Tyvek logo (outside surface). They also claim that water will easily penetrate from the inside surface out. As long as the printed logo is facing out, the Tyvek should keep all moisture off the machine, and any moisture build up inside or on top of the machine that is present before covering should easily evaporate out.

Gary Radice
11-15-2009, 6:26 PM
Sorry, but it is physically impossible (AFAIK) to make a material that allows water vapor to move only in one direction through it.

I believe what TYVEK does is resist liquid water moving through it while allowing water vapor to pass. Like GORETEX does. In other words, it is not a water vapor barrier, so it won't trap water vapor underneath, but neither will it prevent water vapor (humidity) from coming in and attacking your tools.

It would be good for keeping rain and dust (and cats) off the tools, but not water vapor.

Rob Sack
11-15-2009, 8:07 PM
Sorry, but it is physically impossible (AFAIK) to make a material that allows water vapor to move only in one direction through it.

I believe what TYVEK does is resist liquid water moving through it while allowing water vapor to pass. Like GORETEX does. In other words, it is not a water vapor barrier, so it won't trap water vapor underneath, but neither will it prevent water vapor (humidity) from coming in and attacking your tools.

It would be good for keeping rain and dust (and cats) off the tools, but not water vapor.

When Tyvek first came out, I researched it thoroughly. I contacted the original manufacturer, Dupont. They claim that it's face resists water better than roofing felt and yet allows water to pass through it from the back as if it were a sieve.

douglas ferrman
11-15-2009, 8:19 PM
I also am looking for a solution to rust problems with machinery in a unheated space where temp fluctuations are not uncommon.

Has anyone tried this product the "Magnetic Tool Cover" (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020306/21964/Magnetic-Table-Saw-Cover.aspx)?
It seems like it might be a good solution as long as it doesn't curl up on the edges.

It seems the breathable HTC Tool Covers (http://www.woodcraft.com/catalog/family.aspx?id=2004382) are mostly to keep moisture from being trapped under the cover. Unless what you are trying to do is prevent a mist or fog from coming in contact with the cold metal of the machine. I don't see how they will help when a warm morning follows a cold night, they are not airtight, so in those circumstances the air will flow under and around them and still come in contact with the cold metal and the moisture will condense out.

douglas ferrman
11-15-2009, 8:21 PM
Here something new to me, I just saw in the Woodcraft catalog, Zerust, (http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2021193/2021193.aspx) anyone have experience with this?

Joshua Layne
11-15-2009, 8:42 PM
and I live in Half Moon Bay - look us up in the dictionary under foggy and damp :) (well, not everyday, today was gorgeous). The cover makes a real difference in the amount of surface rust I get on my saw - I will profess ignorance to the exact mechanism of condesation (I understand the high level), but the cover imperically reduces condensation on the cast iron in my experience.

Eddie Darby
11-16-2009, 4:12 PM
I just spray a thick coat of T-9 from Boeshield on, and then don't wipe it off until you go to use the tool.

If you are getting water falling on your tools, then try fixing the roof.:eek:

I'm the only one in my shop, so I have no need of covers, but if you are sharing then covers help to reduce the carelessness of others.