PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw wheels not coplaner

Robert Reece
11-12-2009, 9:39 AM
Jet 18" JWBS-18.

Bandsaw wheels aren't coplaner. I can adjust them for coplaner, however, they change as I tension the blade. They change quite a bit too - Both the top and the bottom wheel move at least 1/4" while tensioning a 3/4" blade. When I say move a 1/4", I mean the part of the wheel closest to the table moves farther into cabinet by 1/4". I'm not talking about the upper wheel moving up and down as it is tensioned, that is what it's supposed to do :). I can also just grab the wheels and move them in and out of the cabinet, so obviously the attachment mechanism just isn't up to par.

So what is the downside of bandsaw wheels not being coplaner? My blade seems to track "ok". I say ok because the back of the blade moves in and out as the wheels move (probably varies a fat 1/16" or maybe a full 1/8"). The blade teeth don't move side to side at all.

David Christopher
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Robert, if the saw is cutting like it is suppose to, I would'nt mess with it. you could open up a whole bag of worms.....but I would call jet and ask some questions

Myk Rian
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
You need to get the wheel movement fixed. Might be a loose set screw holding it to the axle.

Pete Bradley
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Jet 18" JWBS-18.

Bandsaw wheels aren't coplaner.

Coplanar is over-discussed. If the machine's working fine for you, don't mess with it.

Though it probably doesn't hurt anything, 1/4" of movement feels a little high. If this machine has a spring and screw type tracking adjustment, you might just check that it's assembled like it's supposed to be.

Pete

Robert Reece
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
The saw doesn't cut up to my standards, but that is most likely the blade. I should be receiving a new Lenox WoodMaster tomorrow (from Iturra, thanks to the Creek for that contact!) so we will know if it's the saw or the blade. I agree the proof is in the pudding, so if it cuts well, I'll just ignore the coplaner problem.

However, if the blade is moving back and forth in the kerf it seems like that is going to cause problems with my feed rate and ultimately with cut quality. As the teeth are moving forward the cut is going to be agressive and as the teeth are moving backwards the cut will lighten up.

This is going to be interesting when I get this new blade. I'll come back and let you know what happens.