PDA

View Full Version : Help with making saw kerf

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2009, 8:33 AM
I need to make a few quick gifts. The project involves cutting a 1/8" saw kerf at a n angle of about 21 degrees as shown in the photo. In the past I made up a jig to hold the piece in my miter saw and then made the cut. It always felt very uncomfortable and I was happy to have all ten digits after the cut was made. Does anyone have a safer, easier solution? Hope the question makes sense. Thanks, Kieran

Brandon Weiss
11-12-2009, 8:36 AM
You'll probably get ten responses like this before I get mine sent, but I don't see the photo. Can you try to attach it again?

Kenneth Whiting
11-12-2009, 8:45 AM
What tools do you have available and how long/wide is the board. If it is small enough it can be done on the table saw, scroll saw or band saw.

Brandon Weiss
11-12-2009, 8:57 AM
Table saw if you have it would probably be the easiest/safest. Quick, easy setup and easily repeatable.

Doug Shepard
11-12-2009, 9:05 AM
It looks to me like you'd have to stand it up on edge to do it on the TS and the height of the piece might be too tall to get the kerf that high up. A circular saw with a straight edge guide might be the best way.

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2009, 9:07 AM
The boards are 2-3/4" wide and 22" long. I have bandsaw, tablesaw, etc. It is probably very obvious, however, I am having a problem visualizing how to do it on the table saw if the max I can set the blade angle is 45 degrees. Make sense? As Doug suggested, boards are too long (too tall).

Prashun Patel
11-12-2009, 9:12 AM
If you have to do multiples, I'd cut the kerf first, on a wide piece on the table saw. Then I'd rip the pieces to width. If the angle is too steep for the bevel of the saw, I'd cut it on edge with a 'tenon jig' that rides the fence.

Safe and controllable.

Robert Reece
11-12-2009, 9:26 AM
+1 to Shawn's response.
Use a tenoning jig or carriage that rides the fence and holds the board standing up. TS blade will be set at the angle you need.
You might need a backer board to keep from blowing out that little piece that will be on the backside of the cut.

Joe Scharle
11-12-2009, 9:27 AM
I agree with Shawn. Why won't that work for you? Need that answer before 'plan B'.:D

Kenneth Whiting
The table saw won't work with that length of wood and that angle, the circular saw is out because of the angle. The band saw will work since it is 2 3/4", stand it on edge and mark where the cut will be on the side of the board, then run it in to the depth and back out, probably a few times since bandsaw blades aren't as thick as circular blades. I think the scroll saw is out as well with that size piece.

Doug Shepard
You'd have to set the TS blade to 69 degrees and run them through standing up. Not too safe at 2-3/4" wide but doable with a holding or tenoning jig. Problem is you can only get that kerf about 3" high which wont work if you're trying to get it out near the end of 22". You could do it with a circular saw and straight edge guide but at only 2-3/4 wide, that's less than ideal too. What about a router table with a slot cutter bit and rig up a small angled jig to run the wood past it? Is it just one slot on each piece or multiple slots?

Joe Scharle
11-12-2009, 9:39 AM
I missed the '21 deg' because it looks to me, like a 45 in the pic. In that case, I'd use a handsaw with a 1/8" set.

Steve Kohn
11-12-2009, 9:57 AM
I have a radial arm saw that I would use. There are two methods that would work. First you could build a cradle at the 69 degree angle with a backer stop. The cradle could be screwed/clamped to RAS table and the blade drawn across the work/cradle.

The other option would be to build the cradle at 90 degrees to the table and tilt the sawblade to the angle.

Myk Rian
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Bandsaw with a miter gauge. That's what I would use.
I don't see how a tenoning jig could hold it at the right angle.

Brian Kent
11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Bandsaw or handsaw.

Gerry Werth
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
This cut cannot be done on the table saw. Like you said, it could be done on your CMS, but I would make a jig to hold and clamp the piece to keep your digits out of the way. So, band saw or hand saw. Do you have a biscuit cutter? That would also work, but you would probably need to make a jig to hold the cutter at that angle.

Lee Schierer
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
If you have a biscuit jointer, you can make a jig to hold the piece, plunge and move the jointer side to side to lengthen the slot. I think the fence on the jointer would adjust to give you the required angle. Depth of cut might still be a problem.

It could also be don on a RAS, but you would also need to build a jig to hold the pieces while you make the cut. I would not attempt this free hand on anything except maybe the band saw method others have mentioned.

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Sorry, out in the shop cleaning up. Looks like Myk's way may be the ticket. I tried a test piece, couple of kerfs with the bandsaw, 1/8 chisel from each side and I am there. Able to keep all ten digits in sight, used combo of hand and power tools so life is good. Once the leaves are all cleaned up, I can get to work on these charity donation gifts. Thanks for all the suggestions. Enjoy the day. Kieran