PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Glass to Wood??

Richard Madison
11-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Have a friend who wants to "embellish" one of my turnings by gluing on some glass "jewels". The "jewels" are approx. 1/2" dia. with nearly, but not perfectly flat glue surface, so an adhesive with minor gap-filling ability is needed. The piece may also be subjected to some shock loading (similar to being dropped on a hard floor), and a very brittle glue joint would not be good. The jewel surface is to be cleaned with alcohol or other volatile solvent.

So her questions are what glue to use, and should the wood surface be bare wood or have sanding sealer or other finish material?

Have seen a product intended for similar uses but can't recall where I saw it. My friend would appreciate and thank you for your help.

David E Keller
11-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Epoxy looks like the logical choice to me, but I don't have any direct experience with this. Be sure and post some pics afterward and let us know how it turns out.

David Walser
11-12-2009, 1:14 AM
Bondaflex: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Adhesives___Glue___Bondaflex_Glass_Adhesive___glas s_adhesive?Args=

I understand silicone caulk from the hardware store or home center works, too.

Brian Ashton
11-12-2009, 1:52 AM
You'll need something capable of moving with the glass and the wood which will be at far different rates and times. Clear silicone maybe.

ROY DICK
11-12-2009, 7:41 AM
Richard,
Give CSUSA a call and ask about the solvent question, just to be on the safe side.

Roy

Jason Roehl
11-12-2009, 8:23 AM
http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Glass&that=Wood

Richard Madison
11-12-2009, 9:14 AM
Thanks guys. David, I think Bondaflex is the prodect I was thinking of. Am willing to bet it's a silicone adhesive similar the GE product in Jason's link. That's what I needed. Thanks again.

Rich Stewart
11-12-2009, 9:55 AM
Dropped on a hard floor?

Barbara Gill
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I use E6000. I just found it at Michaels. I used to order it online.

Richard Madison
11-12-2009, 2:10 PM
Rich, Probably a hard floor.

Thanks Barbara. Will take a look at it.