PDA

View Full Version : JET ProShop startup noise

Bas Pluim
11-11-2009, 11:42 PM
My JPS-10 table saw has developed a loud screeching sound on startup. It only lasts about half a second, but it's annoying nonetheless. The V-belt was fairly slack, so I loosened the bolts that hold the motor to tighten it up, but that didn't solve the problem. It could be the secondary belt that actually drives the blade, but I don't see how it can be slack (or how to tension it).

Anyone else run into this problem? The saw has no problems once the blade is up to speed, it cuts fine without any noise.

Prashun Patel
11-12-2009, 9:15 AM
Hmmm, odd prob. I have ProShop. Never had that issue. The only thing I've had issue with is the blade arbor lock...

Mike Heidrick
11-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I do not own a Pro shop. That noise is a belt slipping though. I had it on my bandsaw after moving it from Scott's shop to mine. Part of setup was adjusting belt tension according to Sam. Right as rain after tensioning it.

Bas Pluim
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
That noise is a belt slipping though.
I'm pretty sure as well, but I'm afraid it's the wide poly V-belt that's slipping (not the regular V-belt that drives the pulley). I have no idea how to adjust that one...looks like it's time to call JET.

Doug Shepard
11-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Where are you located? Lots of things start getting crankier when the cold weather start setting in. Maybe a shot of automotive belt dressing would be worth a try.

Bas Pluim
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Where are you located? Lots of things start getting crankier when the cold weather start setting in. Maybe a shot of automotive belt dressing would be worth a try.
I'm in Raleigh, in a basement shop, so the only thing that gets cranky when the weather changes is the operator :-) I'll try the belt dressing, that's a great idea.

Josiah Bartlett
11-12-2009, 4:23 PM
Normally once a belt slips more than a few times its time to replace it. They develop a glaze and they don't grip as well anymore. It becomes a death spiral.