PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly shaper question

Mike Reinholtz
11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I found a 1.5HP grizzly shaper (G1035) on CL today for $315, says it comes with about 10 bits. I have never used a shaper, just a router table. I know the motors are drastically stronger than what's in a router, just wonder if this is worth it for a first shaper or if I should wait for something bigger, like a 3 or 5 hp to come along. I'm in no rush, but I do want to get one.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Travis Gunn
11-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I bought this model a few weeks ago. I paid just a little more than that for a unit that had been bought 9 years ago but never unboxed. I only have a cheap router table so I Love this shaper. Grizzly sells an adapter for this model that allows you to use router bits in the shaper (1/2" & 1/4") I know that it does not replace a GOOD router & table but, at that price its hard to beat. If the 10 bits are in good shape, they would cost the $315 if bought new.
Just my opinion.....
Travis

Mike Reinholtz
11-12-2009, 5:41 PM
Thanks Travis, I emailed the guy listing it and asked about the bits. The pics make it look like it's barely been used, keepin my fingers crossed!

Have you had any issues with a lack of power? I'm not a production shop by any stretch, just hobby stuff but at the same time I don't want to get an itch to upgrade any time soon. I can get motors very easily, but I'm gonna assume they build the frame to match the motor strength and it wouldn't be a good (or safe) idea to put in a bigger one.

Josiah Bartlett
11-12-2009, 6:19 PM
1.5 HP is plenty for a home shop. As long as you aren't using a power feeder to raise huge panels in one pass you won't need more.

That's a screaming deal. You should be able to get that out of it if you go for a bigger one.

Travis Gunn
11-12-2009, 6:51 PM
To be hones I haven't given it a good workout. I only got 2 cutter with it. I ran a few boards past it & was impressed. I have used 1/2" router blades & they certainly don't bog it down but you do have to feed slower than a 3+hp router. I love how solid it is (& heavy).