PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl.

gary Zimmel
11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Well I finally got my mustard monster to spin today...
It was a little more work than I expected as I had to rearrange my shop a bit to get it a place to live.
With that all out of the way I was just going to wait until after my course this weekend to see what it can do...
But even though I don't know what I'm doing I thought how many bad habits can I pick up in two days...

A couple of things I did learn.

I don't know how to make a proper foot.
When I took the face plate off and turned the bowl around there was a little wobble.
I don't know how to take pics....
And this is too much fun!

Here is the fruits of this first go with a bowl.
A little chunk of zebra wood.

Gary Herrmann
11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Gary, that is very good work for a first bowl.

Alan Trout
11-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Gary,

That is a great first bowl. You are a natural.

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Gary,

Excellent first bowl!

On the foot thing....I've had trouble with that. If the wood isn't completely dry the doggone things will warp on you.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Gary - very impressive work! I would be proud to have turned that bowl! If this is what you do right out of the box - can't wait to see what happens after your class!

alex carey
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
very impressive work for your first bowl. mine looked a hell of a lot worse.

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Your first bowl is a beauty. I would sign, date and keep it. You can compare in the years to come.

Kenneth Whiting
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, great first bowl. Hope mine is that good.

David E Keller
11-11-2009, 11:46 PM
nice work... zebrawood end grain can be a little tricky. Great finish. My first dozen "bowls" went in the chiminea, but yours is a keeper.

John Keeton
11-12-2009, 6:13 AM
Gary, that is a beautiful start! I know little about the various details and nuances that make a fine bowl, "but I know it when I see it." And, that is a fine bowl!!

I suspect, however, that you are under some compulsion to show Geri that this was a "wise investment" early on!!??

Harvey M. Taylor
11-12-2009, 7:20 AM
Gary, you are hereby advanced to the intermediate class of woodturners.Nice bowl. I refuse to post a pic of my first one after seeing yours. Max

Tim Browne
11-12-2009, 7:22 AM
That's your first bowl? Oh man do I feel pathetic. I've only done 1 bowl, during a class at woodcraft. Yours is a beauty. Mine looks like I made it in grade school.

ROY DICK
11-12-2009, 7:29 AM
Gary,
Fantastic 1st bowl.
Take that one to class and get a hands on review there.
I bet it will be a good one.
A+ on the shape and I like the foot. To me it sets off the shape.

Roy

Toney Robertson
11-12-2009, 7:35 AM
Gary,

That is a great first bowl.

Very nice form.

Toney

Tony De Masi
11-12-2009, 7:58 AM
Gary, that is one heck of a first bowl you made. I'm very impressed with what you have done. If you are like Steve S. and like to name your items I think you should call this one "Ogee" as it appears to be a perfect ogee bit. Well done.

Tony

Mike Golka
11-12-2009, 8:12 AM
Gary that is one fine peice of work!! Great job never mind being a first. I would bring that puppy along to the meeting tonight, and by the way, I'll be over for some lessons.

Jeff Nicol
11-12-2009, 8:36 AM
Gary, The choice of wood and style of the bowl were tricky to start with for a first bowl, but you pulled it off with seasoned ease! Great job and the future just gets brighter!

Have fun and keep on spinning wood!

Jeff

Rob Cunningham
11-12-2009, 8:43 AM
That's a beautiful bowl. Hard to believe it's your first.