PDA

View Full Version : Curly White Oak and Sapele tables

Matt Evans
11-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Thought I would post a few pictures of some tables I made over the last few days. One of the end tables matches the coffee table, the other one was made from the scraps I had left.

Finish is Boiled Linseed Oil, and in a week or two I will Shellac them.

Matt Evans
11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
A few More pics. . .

And I forgot to mention the three brass dots are just accents.

John Keeton
11-12-2009, 6:21 AM
Matt, those are some really interesting tables! I am not much on deviation from the norm, but I would have to say I kind of like the "artsy" thing with the contrasting strips - and a great job of inlaying them! The curly oak has some beautiful grain going on.

BTW, on the shellac, I have very good luck with nearly immediate application over BLO - no adhesion problems, and it doesn't seem to affect drying times for me. I am sure others will have different experiences with that.

Matt Evans
11-12-2009, 6:33 AM
Thanks John.

Boiled Linseed oil is a newer development for me. Varnish and Watco oils are what I tended to use in the past, but I am really enjoying the look that the Linseed oil gives. It is nice to know that I can Shellac it more quickly than I thought.

As for the Mahogany strips. . . I originally had a clean, all oak look in mind, but I didn't like the way the glue joint looked, and after scraping the top I found that I had a few ugly defects in the wood. So I came up with the strips to turn it back into a good looking table.

John Keeton
11-12-2009, 7:31 AM
...I didn't like the way the glue joint looked, and after scraping the top I found that I had a few ugly defects in the wood. So I came up with the strips to turn it back into a good looking table.Great save! Sometimes those little "happy accidents" can turn into a nice piece of art.

John Thompson
11-12-2009, 3:46 PM
Good.. solid basic construction on the tables. I prefer to wait on the BLO to completely gas off before I apply shellac also. It might work as J.K. has stated but... I was just taught to do so and have done so since so no experimentation on my part.