PDA

View Full Version : Shop Notes Super Saw Horses

Rich Aldrich
11-11-2009, 9:09 PM
The latest issue of Shop Notes Issue 108, has plans for super saw horses. I can't find what material they are recommending for the saw horses. I was going to use pine, but maybe it is too light weight. My thought is that it would be a good break down assembly table.

Does anyone, who has seen this plan, have any suggestions?

Darrell Young
11-12-2009, 1:06 AM
Hi, Rich. I think they are made from pine so you will probably be fine using it. I just emailed ShopNotes to verify that they used pine so I'll post their reply tomorrow night (if I get one).

Sparky Norton
11-12-2009, 7:17 AM
I have the magazine. They used Douglas Fir. They look nice and are on my "to do" list.

Cheers,
Sparky

glenn bradley
11-12-2009, 7:46 AM
Thanks Sparky. I stopped getting ShopNotes (great magazine) but I almost said without even seeing them; "Douglas Fir". ShopNotes and Woodsmith must have a good supplier of clear Doug-fir somewhere. They use a lot of it.

Sparky Norton
11-12-2009, 8:49 AM
When I first looked at them I thought "Southern Yellow Pine or Douglas Fir". I'm sure either one would work just fine.

I'm going to build mine out of some off-grade maple that I've been trying to use up.

Sparky

Rich Aldrich
11-12-2009, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the information. I think I will make them out of pine. If I had Douglas fir, I would use it, but I have pine, so that will do. I also have some maple, but I want to use it for an outfeed table on the tablesaw.

Brent Dowell
11-12-2009, 6:22 PM
I built a set of those last weekend out of some borg pine kd 2x4 and some doug fir 4x4.

Not a bad little project. Pretty quick and easy.

Been using them the last couple of nights as a support while I've been planing down some 10" wide 8/4 7' long maple boards for a dining room table. They are really solid and hold the weight well.

I did change the legs a bit from the plans, because I didn't buy enough 4x4's. Plenty of 2x4's laying around though!

Darrell Young
11-13-2009, 12:04 AM
OK, Rich, seems a lot of folks beat me to the draw here, but I did receive an email from ShopNotes customer service rep Carol Beronich. She said they used Douglas fir but any type of clear pine can be used. Another option is Poplar. It's relatively inexpensive and it is clear.
So there you have it from the official source.
Darrell

Rich Aldrich
11-13-2009, 6:35 PM
Darrell,

Thanks for the official word. I was surprised they did not discuss wood options in the article. I didnt think to email the question to shopnotes.