PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer Details...help

mike vance828
11-11-2009, 6:59 PM
Upgrading from a Dewalt 733 noisemaker for my basement shop (part of the justification with the wife is noise). Major equipment is Powermatic 66 TS and Grizzly 8" jointer. Most projects are cabinet, furniture related (this is a hobby but I believe in investing in good tools).

I have looked hard at 3 of the Grizzly planers:
GO453 15"
GO454 20"
G1033X 20"

Must haves are no snipe, reliablity (oh and less noise).

The 453 is the obvious price winner. The 454 perhaps the best buy. And the 1033X, high end.

I was leaning toward the 454 but I read in the specs that the 5 HP motor requires a 30A circuit (ok) but is rated at 25A (vs 30A for the 1033X) and uses a 12 ga cord (vs 10 ga for 1033X).

I realize that the wire runs are short but from an electrical perspective, a 30A circuit requires 10 ga (believe that is code as well).

Anyhow, I welcome any comments from users of these planers (especially about snipe, motor running hot). I don't think I can swing the upgrade cost for spiral cutter now (and probably don't run enough board feet to justify).

Thanks, mike

Stan Mitchell
11-11-2009, 7:19 PM
I just bought/received a G0453 last week and set it up Saturday. The price was just too good to ignore. I was holding out for the spiral cutter head but figured I could always upgrade.

I'd read a lot of threads about possible adjustment issues (not specific to Grizzly), so I had my trouble shooting list ready. But, other than attach the in-feed and out-feed tables, clean it up, and wire a plug, there wasn't much else to do.

I ran about 20bf of white oak through it on Sunday afternoon with absolute perfect results. It's quiet, no vibration, and rock solid in my opinion.

I was expecting some snipe or some other issue, but the factory settings didn't need any tweaking at all. No snipe at all and a super smooth surface. Now the spiral cutter head doesn't seem to be that big a deal at this point - but I really like the spiral cutter on my jointer so I may change it out once the planer blades start to dull.

I would have had to add a 30 amp circuit with the 20" and I wanted to use an existing 20 amp - which I did. The 15" capacity will meet 99% of my need though.

mike vance828
11-11-2009, 7:50 PM
Thanks Stan. Got to trust a man with your father's name. I really appreciate knowing the least $ option is a winner.

Do you like the spiral cutter on your jointer? I've been very pleased with my Grizzly GO490 with regular knives. I have not gone through a blade change yet.

Stan Mitchell
11-11-2009, 8:56 PM
Mike, I have the same G0490 except with the spiral head. Very nice combination.

However, I was really surprised at what a nice finish the blades on the G0453 left on the wood that I ran through it. And for $850 - delivered - sheesh, what a deal.

The real test will be with some quilted maple that I have on hand. I have a feeling that I'd get better results with the spiral head on the figured maple - but we'll see. That might be the very reason I'll use to eventually upgrade.

Cary Falk
11-11-2009, 9:35 PM
If you are considering the G0454 and are ok with 15" why not get the G0453Z. It is about the same cost of 20". The spiral head will be quieter but anything will be quieter than the lunchbox. I have the G0453Z on the list to replace my screamer.

mike vance828
11-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Cary, that was on my mind and then, well I could just get a 20" for the money. But it is very hard to overlook Stan's excellent point..."And for $850 - delivered - sheesh, what a deal."

Denny Rice
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Mike,

I agree with Stan. I own the GO453 and could not be happier. I didn't need a planer any larger than 15" and it just made perfect sense. I have owned the machine for 3 years now, and have the standard blade set-up, and once you learn how to remove and install the knives its not that hard. The machine is quiet compared to a lot of planers I have worked with and DC is decent on the machine. If I have one thing I dislike about the planer it is probably the location of the gearbox oil fill, it is a pain. The first time I had to fill the gearbox, I removed the chain cover and make a hose about 8-10" long and attach it to the bottle of 80-90 weight gear oil to fill the gearbox. Why they couldn't locate the fill hole on for the planer a little better is beyond me. It's like my dad said, the guys that design this stuff never have to work on it or it would be designed differently.