PDA

View Full Version : Flame Box Elder Hollow Form Critique Requested

Ken Vonk
11-11-2009, 6:01 PM
Here is a hollow form I made from Box Elder. This wood sure smell strange when turning...lol. This piece is about 5" tall and 4" in diameter. The wall thickness is a pretty uniform 3/32" with the bottom slightly thicker for balance. It weighs next to nothing...lol. It's finished with about 8 coats of spray on lacquer.

Thanks for you comments and critique.

Ken

David E Keller
11-11-2009, 6:32 PM
Very nice... I like the shape and the finish looks fantastic. I like the rim treatment.

Dennis Ford
11-11-2009, 6:38 PM
Its a beautiful piece, wood, form and finish are all good.

ed hoxter
11-11-2009, 6:40 PM
hey ken, i see absolutely nothing to critisize. i hope that down the road i could make something that geat. GREAT JOB keep turning EDSMYRNA

alex carey
11-11-2009, 6:40 PM
Greet piece of wood, love the rim but i think the bottom needs to be thinner.

Wally Dickerman
11-11-2009, 7:20 PM
Great piece Ken...Curves are good. I like the little upcurve going in to the rim.

Flame box elder, buckeye burl...some of my favorites. What's next?

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2009, 7:43 PM
Ken - very nice work on your hollow form! Great form, interesting variation on the rim!

As far as a critique - I can only offer a couple of suggestions when it comes to your photography. Just a guess - but it looks like you have an overhead light and also one directly in front of the turning. Only problem with this setup is it gives you harsh shadows and a bright glare spot on the front of the turning. Try moving your lights so that one is above and to the right of the turning and the other is lower and to the left front of the turning. You are not trying to eliminate shadows but get them to work for you and create a 3-D effect and at the same time you want to eliminate as much glare as possible. Make any sense?

Turning is one thing ......... photography is something else all together and takes time. Best thing I can do is recommend Neal's site for a quick tutorial on taking photos: http://www.nealaddy.org/node/16

Hope that helps some....

Kenneth Whiting
11-11-2009, 7:58 PM
Thats a very nice piece, I like it.

Toney Robertson
11-11-2009, 8:26 PM
Ken,

Beautiful wood, form and execution.

This piece has it all.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2009, 9:20 PM
Beautiful piece out of some really pretty wood. Nice form and finish.

Rob Cunningham
11-11-2009, 9:24 PM
Great looking wood, form and finish.

steven carter
11-11-2009, 9:24 PM
Really nice hollow form, I really like the flame in this piece.

Steve

charlie knighton
11-11-2009, 9:35 PM
very nice, it is well done, if you get the chance and want to invest in some 2 part bleach it could whiten your hf but leave the red, your finish is good and would work with the bleach....

somebody posted on another board about ciba lignostab 1198 which could be a uv inhibitor i do not know if anyone has used it before

George Morris
11-11-2009, 9:45 PM
Very nice! good form and finish great work! G

Gary Conklin
11-11-2009, 9:56 PM
I llike everything about this piece, wood, finish, form and false collar.

Mike Golka
11-12-2009, 8:36 AM
I like the form and finish, well done.

Jeff Nicol
11-12-2009, 8:51 AM
The only thing is the shadows like Steve said, they kind of hide the base and blur the total lines of the vase. Other wise it is very nice and the colors and finish are great!

Jeff

Tim Pennington
11-12-2009, 1:03 PM
Beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing.

Ken Vonk
11-12-2009, 4:53 PM
if you get the chance and want to invest in some 2 part bleach it .....

Charlie, can you give me some more information about the 2 part bleach? Where can I buy some or read about it?

Thanks,

Ken

charlie knighton
11-12-2009, 7:05 PM
one place to buy it is woodworker's supply 1-800-645-9292

ask for 2 part bleach you need a pair of chemical rubber gloves, buy at lowes or home depo and use your face sheild
have some water or vinegar close by for unexecpted happinings
i mix it in glass measuring cup, only an ounce or so at time
you will need water based poly or lacquer to finish over bleach to not turn the white back to yellow, use a test stick to make sure
enjoy :D