PDA

View Full Version : Which Blum Tandem for Panty drawers?

Joe Jensen
11-11-2009, 3:58 PM
I am adding shelves to they kitchen panty. They will be 26" wide and 21" deep. Do I need the heavy duty Tandem slides or will the standard be sufficient?

Dennis McGarry
11-11-2009, 4:17 PM
Um think you forgot a "R" in there somewhere, Other wise WOW most people keep them in a drawer in the bedroom not the kitchen...

Alex Shanku
11-11-2009, 4:17 PM
" Which Blum Tandem for Panty drawers?"

--too easy....resists urge;)

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-11-2009, 4:18 PM
must remember the TOS....must remember the TOS.....must remember the TOS...

:)

Jim O'Dell
11-11-2009, 4:27 PM
Isn't that redundant....panty....drawers???? :D:D Sorry Joe. But thanks for the smile. I needed that. Jim.

mike vance828
11-11-2009, 4:43 PM
Joe, I've used both full extension slides and regular blum slides (plastic roller in track). Each did fine but you need to consider the weight (of drawer plus contents) for the service life & convenience you want. Blum etc lists the load rating for drawer slides. Properly installed, I've never had any racking issues with either.

And thanks, too, for the missing "r"!

Dan Karachio
11-11-2009, 4:54 PM
Now that you have a drawer for the panties, where will you store your Freudian slips?:D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2009, 5:20 PM
Now that you have a drawer for the panties, where will you store your Freudian slips?:D

Me thinks it wasn't Freudian and really close to some moderation.:)

Mike Bosdet
11-11-2009, 5:22 PM
Cute, Dan!!!!! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2009, 6:00 PM
Dennis,

I like humor as much as the next person but we have no control over the children that might have access to this site and therefore a little restraint has to be maintained at all times.

Joe Jensen
11-11-2009, 7:14 PM
WOW, try to do some real work for a couple hours and look what happens.

I'd say the two worst case drawers would be one with all cans, and one with the large Kitchenaid mixer, parts, and other stuff. I didn't really want to weight them but I could I guess. The Blum site has lots of specs for side load, static load, rolling load, etc but it's hard to beat real world experience.

The company that makes the drawer boxes for me says the BLUM stuff is very conservatively rated and the stardard is fine. My normal inclination is to go heavy duty. The heavy duty will cost me about $200 more for what I want to do. Maybe a mix.

I was hoping to get some pantry experience and not the other advice here :p

John Morrison60
11-11-2009, 7:31 PM
Joe

I made some pantry drawers that are 24" wide by 21" deep. I have drawers that are 6.75" high, and some that are 12" high. The high drawers themselves weigh a few lbs. empty. (3/4 cherry front and back, 5/8 ash on the sides, 3/8 baltic birch on the bottom.) they are full of cans and the normal Blum Tandems work fine.
I have only had them in use for one month, so I do not have long term, but they do not seem stressed.)

Good Luck
John

Nick Lazz
11-11-2009, 7:39 PM
I am adding shelves to they kitchen panty. They will be 26" wide and 21" deep. Do I need the heavy duty Tandem slides or will the standard be sufficient?

Joe, what is the thickness of your drawers sides?

If they are between 1/2" and 5/8" the 562H series or 568H series would work. 562H is rated at 75lbs. dynamic load, 100 static. 568H is 110lbs. dynamic 125lbs. static.

If your drawer sides are 3/4" the 562F or 568F with the load capcities listed above.

Joe Jensen
11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I was going to do 3/4" sides with the heavy runners. The drawer box manufacturer talked me out of them. a 26" wide, 21" deep, 5" high box with solid hard maple sides, and a 1/2" Baltic Birch bottom, finished, notched, and drilled for the tandems, is $43. The same size, finished, notched and drilled in 1/2" BB is $19. The slides are $24 for the light ones and $43 for the heavy ones. I am doing 16 total. I'm strongly leaning to the $688 solution instead of the $1376 solution.

I don't think I can find pre finished BB ply cheap enough to do it myself. That, and doing 16 drawers worth of dovetails with my Leigh jig would suck.

I think I'll take the risk.

Adam Strong
11-11-2009, 11:58 PM
doing 16 drawers worth of dovetails with my Leigh jig would suck.

16 isn't bad with any jig. Once you have your drawer sides cut to size there is one setup for the pins, and one for the tails... Rout' away! Just a redundant process that wouldn't take too long, even if you take your time.

Joe Jensen
11-12-2009, 12:50 AM
16 isn't bad with any jig. Once you have your drawer sides cut to size there is one setup for the pins, and one for the tails... Rout' away! Just a redundant process that wouldn't take too long, even if you take your time.

I've done the dovetails in baltic birch thing. Since the drawers cost little more than the raw materials would cost, I am writing a check for this one.

I haven't checked prices on nice true baltic birch pre finished, but the last sheet I bought of unfinished was like $45. The drawers are 26 wide by 21 deep. That's roughly 2 drawers per sheet, or like $22 a drawer for materials and they are charging me $18.50, finihsed, notched and drilled for the tandems. Plus they are only 12 miles from my house so no shipping.

Adam Strong
11-12-2009, 9:45 AM
It's been said and proved many times... Woodworking isn't about saving money. In this case I would take the same option as you.

Joe Jensen
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
It's been said and proved many times... Woodworking isn't about saving money. In this case I would take the same option as you.

I totally agree it's not about saving money. It is about having fun. As I've already spent many many hours routing dovetails into BB ply, and IT'S NOT FUN

Rick Fisher
11-12-2009, 2:17 PM
This would be fun..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Omec.jpg

Just sayin.. :D

Joe Jensen
11-12-2009, 6:01 PM
This would be fun..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Omec.jpg

Just sayin.. :D

Rick has all the big boy toys :)