PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox buffing

Bob Vavricka
11-11-2009, 3:48 PM
I am making some peppermills and have used CA as a finish before and really like it when I am done, but it seems to take quite a bit of time for me to get a finish I am happy with--it is getting better with practice.

I bought some Waterlox to try on my next set and I am making some napkin rings to go with them and don't want to try to CA the rings. I know the overall finishing time will be longer allowing the finish to cure, but I can work on something else during that time. I am planning on 3-4 coats of Waterlox and sanding and buffing the last coat. I am wondering if I will have any problems buffing Waterlox and how long I should let the last coat cure before buffing.
Does anyone have a finishing schedule they use that includes buffing?
Thanks,
Bob V.

Brian Kent
11-11-2009, 4:57 PM
On a table I left it for a month. I don't know if that is needed on smaller piece. My most successful helper after 600 grit was the micromesh pads.

Henry Ambrose
11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Thin coats with enough drying time between and a month as noted above ought to give you a hard finish.

Scott Holmes
11-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I second or third the 30 day cure time.

Easiest way to tell if it has finished curing is to hold it up to your nose... if you can still smell it then it needs more time. Once cured there will bew no smell.