PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Jointer G0586

Brian Runau
11-11-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/8-Jointer-w-2-HP-Motor/G0586

Looking at this buy from Grizzly. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks

Brian

Fred Belknap
11-11-2009, 1:01 PM
Brian I have that jointer and I does a very nice job. It's the only one I ever owned so I don't have much to compare with but it seem to be a very popular jointer from all the post I seen about it.
Fred

Steve Mellott
11-11-2009, 2:07 PM
I have owned that jointer for 2.5 years and have been very happy with it. I've never used another jointer so can't compare it with others.

Steve

Jason Beam
11-11-2009, 3:38 PM
I have a G0586 and it's a fantastic SOLID machine.

A friend had the G0490 and loved it, too.

It's a stellar machine. I upgraded to it from a 6" and was very pleased. I have used and tuned several other jointers and the G0586 compares quite favorably. I don't think you'd be unhappy at all :)

Sherzod Niazov
11-11-2009, 3:41 PM
I was impressed with the machine when it arrived 2 years ago (still impressed), especially for the price. I recently upgraded the cutterhead to index spiral from Grizzly and love it. Also, I recommend replacing stock belts with a link belt to help eliminate vibration.

Peter Aeschliman
11-11-2009, 3:42 PM
Looks like a good deal for an 8" machine.

For $70 more, you could trade up to a 3hp motor and get a built in mobile base. The one you're looking at is 2hp without a mobile base. The drawback of the 3hp unit is slightly shorter beds, but the difference (2.5") isn't that significant since you'll probably never need to joint a board long enough to benefit from the extra length.

Check out the 3hp unit. It looks to be identical with the exception of the HP and mobile base (which are well worth $70 IMO):

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0656

Greg Wittler
11-11-2009, 3:57 PM
I would buy the G0490 because of the 3hp motor, the slightly longer table, the parrallelagram beds, and the built in mobile base and is $850 with free shipping right now as stated in their Holiday Catalog, which is only $80.00 more.

Mark Hoffman
11-11-2009, 3:58 PM
+1. been very happy with mine. put a lot of jatoba through it and never had any issues.

Pete Hay
11-11-2009, 4:45 PM
Our church shop has had the same model you're considering for three years now. Run a lot of wood with zero problems. It's dead-on accurate
I can't see how 3hp would make this unit perform better than the 2hp motor it has.
Get a spare set of blades so you're not down when the dull set's out being sharpened.

Pete
Semper Fi

Peter Aeschliman
11-11-2009, 4:47 PM
I would buy the G0490 because of the 3hp motor, the slightly longer table, the parrallelagram beds, and the built in mobile base and is $850 with free shipping right now as stated in their Holiday Catalog, which is only $80.00 more.

Ah, even better than my proposal.

Greg Wittler
11-11-2009, 5:49 PM
Peter, I must have missed your post, glad I didn't just repeat what you stated. Between the Grizz Store on Amazon.com, their ad in WOOD mag. and their Holiday Catalog it gets confusing, which deal is the best.

Brian Runau
11-12-2009, 5:40 AM
Pete:

Great suggestion. I am limited on circuit breaker space. I need the power for my planer and think the 2hp single phase is good due to single phase.

jeff niehenke
11-12-2009, 9:36 AM
I have the 3hp G0656 model for over a year now and love it. Only dreback is it has the three knife cutterhead instead of four as they sell now. Alignng the motor to the drive pulley is a royal pain with the heavy motor. Get a red Ono belt with your order, significantly improved vibration, can stand a nckel on edge now. The 3 hp I cannot slow down even afte a dangerous test. Only drawback with mine is moving the table in an out requires lifting it slightly to prevent scraching the bed. Their customer service is awesome too and sent me new pulleys when I thought that was the problem before re-allignng it. Jump on the g0490

Michael Erkens
11-12-2009, 9:47 PM
Got one a couple of years ago, love it. Just changed the knives for the first time, just like new again. First jointer for me, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Pete Paris
11-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I do not know much about grizzly machines. I have tried out the steel city and the powermatic and own a jet jointer. My wood supplier bought several new machines from grizzly and his only complaint was that he had to retighten all the nuts and bolts on the machines after start up. He uses all his machines everyday so they must be putting better machines out there. His are all industrial machines though.

Sounds like the 3hp is the way to go if you have the power source.

Barry wines
11-13-2009, 9:11 AM
I,m also in the process of deciding on a 8" jointer and am considering either the g0586 or the g0490 or the Shop fox 1741.My other option would try to find a Delta DJ-20 used.
One of the reasons for considering the DJ-20 is that I think that the 3HP motor on the grizzly and the shopfox is over kill .(wasted energy)
The four knife head on the Griz and the Shopfox means means sharpening 4 knives instead of 3 and according to the article in Finewoodworking is a non issue as far as finish is concerned. Also there seems like there should
be increased resistance from making 21,000 cuts per minute vs. 16500.
I also was looking for a used powermatic 8" Houdaille but the people who have these machines want $1200+ for their machines.
Would those of you that have experience on these machines address my concerns. Thanks Barry

Cary Falk
11-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Barry,
I have the Shop Fox 1741. I am completely happy with it. I was orginally going to get the G0490, but I found a better deal on the 1741. The tables and fence were flat. I put a Byrd head in mine because I hate changing blades and it is great. I can't imagine what the DJ-20 could offer, at 3x the cost, that my 1741 hasn't.

Rick Bunt
11-13-2009, 1:23 PM
I went through this same decision six months ago with much help from SMC (thanks). I considered, and then purchased, the G0490X (spiral) vs. the G0593 (the spiral version of G0486). I think the other spec comparisons are same for 490 vs 586.

I considered the slightly bigger cutterhead (3 3/16” vs 3 1/16”), added HP (3 HP vs 2 HP), built in mobile base, and taller fence (5” vs 4”) all in favor of the G0490X.

How could bigger not be better, right? ;-) Seriously though, I didn’t see any downside to bigger specs on G0490 over the G0593. The built in mobile base on the G0490X compared to adding one to the G0593 makes the prices almost the same. I do use the mobile base on occasion. My shop is medium/small so for jointing long boards I move it out to the middle of shop, but for anything less than 4-5' it can stay by the wall. That might not factor into your decision.

I have been very happy with G0490X (and spiral cutter head, for what that's worth). I have a local friend who has the G0593, which I used before I bought my G0490X, and that works very well too. Personally, I do notice and like the taller fence on mine. I can't say I notice a difference in the outcome of the boards as a result, but I prefer it.

Hope this helps,
Rick

Brian Runau
11-13-2009, 4:48 PM
leaning toward G0586 but would need to change out the magnetic switch for 110V. I have the 110V 20 amp circuit set up for it.

Any ideas on how much trouble it is to review the new switch in for 110v?

Thanks

Brian