PDA

View Full Version : Jet 10 inch Benchtop Band Saw

Bob Betker
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Hello, this is my first post on Sawmill Creek although I have been lurking for almost a year. I am slowly putting together my shop tools and need some advice. I am looking at the Jet 10 inch Benchtop Bandsaw which Woodcraft has on sale. Due to space constraints, I am limited to only benchtop units. Does anyone have any experience with this unit or other benchtop bandsaws?

Thanks, Bob

Pat Germain
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not familiar with the JET bench top band saw. But every other bench top band saw I've seen was lackluster at best. The primary problem I observed was very lightweight and flimsy construction. This means everything on the saw moves and vibrates. And there were very few ways to tune and adjust. Thus, it's impossible to dial in. Also, I'm not aware of any aftermarket parts, like guides and cool blocks, which will fit bench top saws.

I used some bench top band saws during a Pinewood Derby workshop for kids at my church. The bench top band saws worked OK for cutting out Pinewood Derby cars. But I would be disappointed if I tried to do anything precise on those machines.

But again, I haven't seen the JET example. It could be a good, bench top saw.

Ron Bott
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I had a look at this saw yesterday when I dropped by the local Woodcraft. I thought it looked a bit better quality than some other benchtop bandsaws I have come across. My dad has a benchtop Delta bandsaw, and from the little bit I have used that it wasn't very good. I think the Jet is a step up from that, but hard to really know without actually trying it.

Josiah Bartlett
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
The very old cast iron benchtop saws are ok. I think you will be disappointed with the new offerings. I ran a Dremel 10" for a bit and found it to be very difficult to keep running well, even after modifying the guides. It was just too flexible. It had ok power with a 3/4 horse motor, but you could get better cuts with a sawzall.

A delta style 14" saw could be considered benchtop if you took it off the stand and mounted it to a low bench. Just cut a slot for the belt and mount the motor underneath.

Paul Ryan
11-11-2009, 4:42 PM
Another saw you might want to look at is the crapsman 10". I know, I know no one likes crapsman tools. But that band saw is made by Rikon for craftsman. It is acutally better than the Rikon because it comes with a cast table and fence. I owned one for a little over a year and old sold it because I got sick of lifting it off of the floor and I needed a larger machine for some resaws. But it is a slick little saw. It will cut curves as well as anything, and has dust control and good as any other small band saw. Since, the miter guage is a POS because it is plastic. I bought mine for $99 when it was on sale. I have not looked at the jet in person but cannot believe it to be worth and extra $200 over the crapsman. The crapsman even has roller bearings. The jet has a little larger motor 1/2 hp compared to 1/3, quick release lever, and LED light. But that wouldn't be worth the money to me. I just checked it is running $189 now, but I have still seen it for $99 at times.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921400000P?keyword=10%22+band+saw