PDA

View Full Version : Older Jet 14" Bandsaw Riser problem!

JohnMichael Schlim
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Hello guys and gals. I have an older Jet 14" bandsaw. It works great and I am supper happy with the machine especially after a fellow creeker, Roger, helped me out with a new Jet fence for it. However the LOML has discovered bandsaw boxes and she now wants to make bigger boxes then the 6" resaw capabilites my saw can handle. I really dont want to shell out $500.00+ for new saw and Jet no longer offers an extender or riser kit for this model, JBS-14CS. The issue is that my saw has a hexagon guide bar. The newer saws have a round guide bar. I cant seem to find any conversion kits or hexagon extenders. So My question is do I try to find someone to mill a longer hexagon bar or does anyone know if the round bar will hold in the hexagon mount? Any ideas, comments or sugestions would be helpful.

Jason White
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I have the same bandsaw as you (JBS-14 circa 1980 or so) and recently upgraded to Carter ball-bearing guides. When I did this, Carter sent me a new hexagonal guide bar. They also offer a longer one for people who use riser blocks. As I recall, they sell the hexagonal bar for about $20, but the bottom of it is rounded to fit their own guides (which are amazing, by the way -- though not cheap).

You could also call JET customer service. I'm sure they have replacement guide bars and riser blocks. I know for a fact that they still stock a lot of the old parts. I ordered some from them just a couple of weeks ago. You could also try ordering a Grizzly riser block for one of their older model bandsaws, which I've heard fits perfectly.

Jason

Hello guys and gals. I have an older Jet 14" bandsaw. It works great and I am supper happy with the machine especially after a fellow creeker, Roger, helped me out with a new Jet fence for it. However the LOML has discovered bandsaw boxes and she now wants to make bigger boxes then the 6" resaw capabilites my saw can handle. I really dont want to shell out $500.00+ for new saw and Jet no longer offers an extender or riser kit for this model, JBS-14CS. The issue is that my saw has a hexagon guide bar. The newer saws have a round guide bar. I cant seem to find any conversion kits or hexagon extenders. So My question is do I try to find someone to mill a longer hexagon bar or does anyone know if the round bar will hold in the hexagon mount? Any ideas, comments or sugestions would be helpful.

JohnMichael Schlim
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Just got off the phone with Carter... Great idea! They are sending the bar for $30.00. I had tried Jet they no longer offer the extension kit or the bar or nay form of replacement of it. Carter will send just the bar so thanks again! I love this forum very great information sharing :)

Jason White
11-11-2009, 1:09 PM
Glad it worked out!

Remember, though, that the Carter guide-bar will not let you mount the "stock" guides that came with your saw. You'll need to install guides made for a round post because the bottom of the Carter hex post is round (to accept their aftermarket guides).

Unless....... I suppose you could just flip the new Carter guide-bar upside down and use the hex end at the bottom for your stock guides.

Jason

Just got off the phone with Carter... Great idea! They are sending the bar for $30.00. I had tried Jet they no longer offer the extension kit or the bar or nay form of replacement of it. Carter will send just the bar so thanks again! I love this forum very great information sharing :)

Eddie Darby
11-11-2009, 5:25 PM
I would take a look at Ittura Designs to see if they have a kit for the extension. I hear that they are suppose to be coming out with a catalog online soon.

I put one of these extension kits on my 14" Delta, and wonder why they just don't cast a BS that has 12" of resaw on the first place.

If I was buying today, I would go with one of the metal framed saws that has the built in resaw capacity, as these extension kits and various other upgrades really drain the wallet.