PDA

View Full Version : Workshop time lapse video

Richard Magbanua
11-11-2009, 7:37 AM
I download a time-lapse video program from Gawker ( http://gawker.sourceforge.net/Gawker.html ) and made a video of me working on my current project, a six drawer dresser. It was a lot of fun to experiment with it and I thought I'd share this and see if anyone else would be interested in making one to share with everyone. I do use hand planes in the second half so I hope you don't find it objectionable ;)

You can find it here:
http://richardmagbanua.blogspot.com/

or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw_e0Hs44VM

Enjoy!

Jimmy Williams
11-11-2009, 8:03 AM
That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting. I will say that the plastic on your wall looks to be breathing in the first part of the video and that beer bottle in the second part didn't move as much as it would have at my house.:D

Dennis McGarry
11-11-2009, 8:11 AM
Very interesting!

Now to say something I didnt think I would ever say... If I only had a Mac... :)

Would be really cool to have the old time Charlie Chaplen music playing with it... :)

Jack Camillo
11-11-2009, 8:14 AM
TOO EXCELLENT! WOW. I really enjoyed watching that. And I just knew you were going to knock over that beer bottle!

Richard Magbanua
11-11-2009, 8:20 AM
Thanks for the compliments!
The beer bottle did move a bit more than it looked (fast sipper). Since that was my workout for the day I chose the Sammy light :D That's the nice thing about hand tools. A beer (or two) "shouldn't" result in a lost appendage. Hand tools and shots of liquor? Now that's what we call a "sport" (or maybe a problem). I never drink even one beer if I'm going to be in the barn using power tools though.
Funny about the breathing walls. That plastic earns its keep during the winter months and the rainy days.

Robert Reece
11-11-2009, 8:32 AM
Fantastic. I enjoyed watching.
I never considerd that I could have a drink or two if I used handtools only. I guess the worse that happens is that you end up with subpar planing.

Doug Carpenter
11-11-2009, 8:34 AM
I really liked the music. And it was fun watching the beer bottle move around.

I couldn't do that the camera would catch me scratching my butt ot picking my nose.:eek:

Rick Boyett
11-11-2009, 9:20 AM
That was REALLY cool to watch. Thanks for sharing..

glenn bradley
11-11-2009, 9:26 AM
How fun. That put a smile on my face for the morning. Thanks.

Christopher Kanda
11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
that was a great video. i wish i could work that fast

Bill Arnold
11-11-2009, 1:01 PM
Thanks for sharing your video! I made a similar time lapse of my DC assembly and mounting. It's on my website in my Shop Tour.

Bill Arnold
11-11-2009, 1:03 PM
... Now to say something I didnt think I would ever say... If I only had a Mac... ...
The time lapse of my DC assembly and installation was done on an old PC. I've made a few videos on it.

MichaelA Cooper
11-11-2009, 1:12 PM
What a grand video Richard!!!!
Thank you for adding some sunshine to my day!!!! :D
Michael

Mike Cruz
11-11-2009, 7:44 PM
So how many beers was that? With the whole time lapse thing, you could have easily gone through a 6 pack without anyone catching it. Then again, the panel looked pretty flat, so, I kinda doubt you had too many...

Great vid, thanks for posting the link.

How long would you say the REAL TIME was? Also, along the same lines, how long between "shots" (ie, what is the time lapse...lapse)?

Peter Quinn
11-11-2009, 7:55 PM
Great video. I'm afraid to do anything like that in my shop for fear of realizing the reason i never get anything done in the home shop is that I stand around scratching my head for 8 straight hours at a clip. That is proof my wife doesn't need.:D If it were motion activated I'd be doomed. Looks like you're moving right along there! And glad to see Sam Adams is hard at work in your shop too. Some days he's the only one that gets anything done in mine!

Bruce Page
11-11-2009, 8:43 PM
Whew, I need a nap! :eek:

Great video!

Prashun Patel
11-11-2009, 9:10 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Magbanua
11-11-2009, 9:24 PM
I think the total real time was about three hours. I did cut out a few moments when I took some phone calls, checked emails, etc.
This time it was only one beer. Flattening by hand had me sweating a lot so that Sammy really hit the spot.
Thanks again to everyone for watching and checking out my blog video!

Happy Veteran's Day to those who have served and who are currently serving.
Thank you!

Mike Heidrick
11-11-2009, 9:45 PM
Awesome video.

Ever get worried about wearing gloves while using the jointer or other power tools?

Richard Magbanua
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
"Ever get worried about wearing gloves while using the jointer or other power tools?"

Not really. I know some worry about entanglement hazards but at least with the ones I use, which are the rubber coated knit gloves, I feel I'm safer. I think I have more control and a better grip. I use the medium gloves which fit snug. I really like wearing them when I use the jointer because the push blocks lose their grip often which makes them useless and the extra control at the table saw is a big plus.

I definitely do NOT wear gloves at the lathe though.

Mike Heidrick
11-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Be super super careful bro. I would think I would never ever wear gloves at a jointer or table saw or any power tool for that matter. Just me. Not even loose hanging full sleeves and no hand jewelry either. The slightest catch and you will be pulled in.

I have been using a pair of Jet push blocks and a couple of grippers - they work great. Maybe look for some new upgraded push blocks?

Richard Magbanua
11-12-2009, 1:00 AM
I hear ya. Thanks for the comments; very important topic! Shop safety is a very important issue to me and many others and you raise some valid points. You should start another thread on this to explore it further.

Mike Heidrick
11-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Back to your video - it is really cool. Can you tell us more about camera type/functions needed to make a video like this, how you transfered all of it, amount of space required to record this much video, size of video once compressed, etc? Also do you just set it up and leave it running teh whole time.

I really need to just go get the software and read the how to there. Just curious what your setup involved.

Richard Magbanua
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi Mike,
My setup was just my MacBook and its built-in webcam. The Gawker program is pretty simplified. You open it up, you see your webcam view, press record, a window pops up where you choose your capture rate (in my video I chose the fastest rate at 1 frame per second) and then choose your frame per second video rate (mine was 20 fps I think). Finally you name your video and tell it where to save it. After these few steps it starts recording. I left the computer open and pressed the stop button when I was done. The saved video opened in quicktime. I think an hour of video was like 140mb or so. It all depends on your settings which you have to experiment with.
Thanks for viewing This was the first of hopefully many other videos I plan on making!