PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new tool

Scott Hackler
11-10-2009, 11:06 PM
I have been using my Sorby Hollowmaster and it works really good for undercutting bowl lips and for short, large opening HF's .......but.... I recently roughed out a large vase (about 14" tall) and dont have a way to reach in to finish out the hollowing. I was going to make my own tool but haven't lit the brush pile on fire yet so no tempering of the steel I bought and shaped.

So I need suggestions for a hollowing tool that has longer reach than the Sorby. I looked at Randy's site and frankly, the choices are a little intimidating.

I would love one of those guided setups but cant justify spending that much.

PS, what does "captured" mean?

Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Scott - you probably already know that I use Monster tools and swear by them - so I thought I would answer your 'captured' question.

The D handle portion of the hollowing tool is captured in a rest that prevents the torque from twisting the tool while hollowing. Very nice feature and makes a huge different in how sore YOU WILL NOT BE after hollowing!

Here is the link to Randy's system. The large yellow thingy with the horizontal slot is what holds the D handle.
http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=266&category_id=63

David Walser
11-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Lyle Jamieson makes one of the first widely used captured tool systems. In addition to making and selling the systems, Lyle has also posted an article on how to make your own on his web site:

https://www.lylejamieson.com/tools/tool_howto.asp

Good luck!

Curt Fuller
11-11-2009, 12:17 AM
As good as any of the above hollowing systems are, I think you're going to be stretching their capacity at 14" deep. That's a long ways over the tool rest. The tools for hollowing that deep start looking like railroad tie bars with the end sharpened;).

Scott Hackler
11-11-2009, 1:12 AM
Well the vase in question might not need 14" of hollowing. I will have to check but it seems like the Sorby tool or my heavy duty 1/2" scraper got all but the last 4 or 5 inches hollowed out. Guess I should measure it to see what I really need. I just gravitate towards large forms and am limited by the current tool selection, but isn't the everyones story?

Dennis Ford
11-11-2009, 7:01 PM
Scott;
I built a tool similiar to the Jamieson system using 1-1/4" bar and it will handle 14" depth with no problems (a few inches deeper than that really stretches its capacity).

Ryan Baker
11-11-2009, 8:55 PM
Fot that kind of depth, you are going to need a bar that is at least 1" to 1.25". Bigger is better if it fits. Slow and steady. A homemade bar with a cutter bit in the end will do as well as anything. Be sure to make it long enough that you still have adequate leverage behind the rest with it hanging out that far.