PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520b,Swing away, accesories?

David E Keller
11-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Hello folks... I've all but convinced my boss/wife that the mustard monster will be a great addition to our household. The toolnut deal seems too good to be true(18% off with free shipping including residential/lift gate and no sales tax). My questions are:

1. Any PM owners regret getting one? If so, why?

2. I'm leaning toward getting the swing away attachment to prevent lugging the tail stock on and off. I'm young enough to do it now but I won't always be... Plus, I'm turning for fun not exercise and avoid heavy lifting whenever possible.

3. Any other accessories that I should consider getting up front? I don't forsee long spindles in my future so I'm leaning away from the bed extension. I'm leaning toward getting a remote switch.

Basically, I want to get the whole enchilada up front while the LOML is feeling generous... I don't know how long that will last.

Ron Bontz
11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Well I like my extension. I just picked up a 6" robust comfort rest. See if Tool Nut will swing you a deal on the powermatic 6" tool rest, as well as the bowl turning rest. Might save you some bucks down the road. And no, I have absolutely no regrets on this one.:) Opps, I take that back. I wish I had a PM4224.:D It may require neuro surgery, but I think I'll live.

George Morris
11-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Love mine you can save the 350 for the swing out by building your own takes about 2 hrs and 30 dollars in material . Check out the mustard monster site you can fine it on aaw forum site. Buy the remote on off switch a great safety feature!
Toolnut are great folks! G

Cyril Griesbach
11-11-2009, 8:48 AM
If you haven't weighed the tailstock I can tell you it weighs #45 and lugging it on and off is an actual pain.

I've got this for mine. Yes it's expensive, yes you can make up something on your own and the Mustard Monster site will show you many styles. You can also buy something cheaper but none of these options actually get the tailstock OUT OF THE WAY while also having it still attached to the lathe.

This is the best. Everything else is just the rest.

http://www.turnrobust.com/Tilt-A-Matic_by_Robust.html

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Robust Tools.

ROY DICK
11-11-2009, 9:51 AM
David,
Remote for sure.
I am not sure how much room you have in your shop.
If you want the whole ball of wax, I would consider the extension. It does make for eaiser turning on the inside of a bowl, + larger bowls if you would like or think you may want to turn one of that size. (Saves the back also).
A hydraulic lift (harbor freight), or chain fall/coffin hoist to help in the moving of the tail staock.
And congratulations on the Mustard.
My only regret is I didn't get it sooner.

Roy

Richard Bell CA
11-11-2009, 3:19 PM
David:

I agree with the remote switch - you can either get the PM version or it is relatively easy to build your own.

You might want to reconsider the bed extension, even if you do not plan to turn long spindles. First, it increases the swing from 20" to 38" when it is mounted low (it comes with a tool rest extension). Second, the added length can be helpful if you want to use a hollowing rig for deep/tall vessels. The extra 18" length also allows you to slide the tailstock far enough away to provide clearance for certain operations without completely removing it.

I don't think you can go wrong with this machine - it is a pleasure to use.

Good Luck

Richard

Perry Higgins
11-11-2009, 7:28 PM
Richard,
Tell me more about the remote switch for a Powermatic. Where can you get one, how does it work and what's required to install?

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2009, 7:49 PM
David - congrats on having a wife who understands the true necessities in life!

Agree with the bed extension as it would provide additional room for your tailstock without removing it from the lathe.

Also agree with having a remote switch but I would build my own. I built mine (Jet 1642) and have used it exclusively ever since and the total cost was less than $10.

Whatever you decide - Congrats and I look forward to seeing your gloat along with the required photo proof!

Richard Bell CA
11-11-2009, 8:16 PM
Perry:

A remote switch is wired in series with the red stop button, which means that both the original red stop button and the remote switch must be on for the lathe to run. It is available as an option from Powermatic or, as Steve said, make your own for about $10. I made mine using a paddle type switch from Grizzly, mounted in a steel junction box. A paddle type switch is best so it can be shut down easily. Since this is part of the controls, the wires don't need to be large. However, I used a standard 3 wire cord so it would be durable and I could ground the box. I also used insulated spade connectors so I did not have to cut any of the factory wiring. I glued rare earth magnets to the back so it can be moved to convenient positions. Mine is normally mounted on the front of the lathe where the bed extension is bolted on, so I can shut down the lathe with my leg when I am hollowing - you can keep both hands on the hollowing rig.

There has been a lot of discussion of this, here are some links to get you started.

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/remoteswitch3520binstructions.aspx
http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/6294733remoteonoffswitch3520aand3520b.aspx

I used this switch:

http://grizzly.com/products/Safety-Locking-On-Off-Switch/H8239

Hope this helps

Richard

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2009, 8:21 PM
Perry - I used a standard light switch, a blue plastic junction box and a rare earth magnet for mine. Had a length of 2 wire lamp cord and used spade lugs as connectors so nothing was cut or modified on the lathe. Works great and I can move the switch to any position on the lathe!

Richard Bell CA
11-11-2009, 9:36 PM
David:

Check out this video. It shows the bed extension in action.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=28509

Richard

Thomas Canfield
11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
David,

I agree with Steve and others about making your own remote switch. I used extension cord wire under the bed and plastic box with magnet and usually set the switch on the bed. It is my normal ON/OFF switch.

I purchased the bed extension and find that I can move my tailstock to the far end and have clearance for almost all of my turning, and I also have my drive unit pulled over the bed to put more weight to the center of the unit. I have the accessories the drop arrangement turning, but have not worked up the nerve or found a blank large enough to use it yet - a 19" rough tree blank has been my largest to date.

David E Keller
11-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the input. I placed my order today, but it won't officially go in until the day after Thanksgiving(that's when the promo actually starts). I must say that my dealing thus far with Toolnut have been fantastic... Very prompt and very courteous. I'll shop with them again for sure.

I opted out of the bed extension for now, but I have until the Wednesday before turkey day to change my mind. I did get the remote switch and bowl rest both at the 18% discount. I'm sure I could have done my own remote switch, but I have an electrical phobia. For about $80 dollars, I'll sleep better knowing that I've not created a fire or electrocution hazard.

I got the swing away attachment for $199 with free shipping. Again, probably could have built one, but my time for turning is limited due to work, and I'd rather spend my free time making wood smaller and rounder than building an attachment.

I greatly appreciate the input. This really is an invaluable resource, and I continue to marvel at the generosity of the posters on this site.

Perry Higgins
11-12-2009, 3:32 PM
Richard,
Thanks so much for the info, really appreciate those links. Sure looks like the right thing to do. Perry