PDA

View Full Version : Trim router bit? Whiteside vs Freud Diablo?

Jay Yoder
11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I need to pick up a 1/2 shank 2" cutting length flush trim router bit for the my current project. I have narrowed it down to the whiteside at my local Woodcraft dealer (about an hour away) or the Diablo at the BORG on my way home. Any experience with either? I am leaning toward the BORG due to the time savings, but are they that much different?

Dean Karavite
11-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I have about a dozen Whiteside bits, including a flush trim, and they are outstanding. Also, why miss a chance of going to Woodcraft and spending even more on other stuff (or just drooling at some of the stuff).

glenn bradley
11-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Whiteside from Holbren. Brian is a member here and gives a 10% discount to SMC members and ships for about $2.

Stephen Edwards
11-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Ditto on Glenn's post and recommendation. Whiteside quality and Holbren CS.....can't beat it. Extremely fast shipping. Prices are very competitive, too! You won't be sorry.

Larry Edgerton
11-11-2009, 5:43 AM
I use both, but not the Freud's from the Diablo line unless it is a sacrificial bit. Whiteside is my first choice, but I did just pick up a pair of Freuds in the 2" cutting length that are 3/4" diameter, 1/2" shank with a shear angle for trimming Azek and they are impressive. They are not in the Diablo line, and may not be in the catalog as they are new, but they do cut smooth. The larger the diameter the better the cut so if you do not need to reach inside a small radius the larger bit will do a better job.

I use Whitesides 1 1/4" trim bits a lot in my circular work cutting from patterns, and they give a smooth cut. Whiteside has a different way of grinding their carbide with a radiused grind so that the cutting edge starts out almost square and is then relieved with the radius, and I believe it is less prone to chipping.

Screw the box stores, support tools that are not built to a price point, but instead built to do the best job.

James White
11-11-2009, 7:25 AM
I would say it depends on your project and how much life you need out of the bit. They will both give you good results with a slight edge to the Whiteside. But the Whiteside giving you much better mileage.

James

scott spencer
11-11-2009, 7:33 AM
I've never been disappointed with either, but the Whitesides are made in the USA, and tend to consistently top out the comparison tests. Holbren's 10% "SMC10" prices them pretty nicely, and he'll have them in the mail about an hour after you place your order.

Charles McCracken
11-11-2009, 8:29 AM
Diablo Router bits are not made to a "price point". They offer the same quality and performance as our standard bits. And if you are dissatisfied with their performance you can return them for a refund or exchange.

Tom Walz
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Southeast

Many consider the quality superior to Whiteside and you can save a bit.

Lee S. Day
07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes they offer the 10% but what I don't understand is why in this day and age they don't ship to other countries. :(

Jim Andrew
07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I only have a few Freud blades and routerbits, but they are superior to any others I have or have used. Of course, have never tried a Whiteside. I was aware they do not make a cheap line of blades for the diablo, they are the same as the other blades, just priced for less.

Rick Fisher
07-23-2013, 3:15 AM
The Diablo blades aren't the same as +
+

The Diablo line are definitely not the same as the industrial blades. The 7-1/4" line are std fare but the 10" line of Diablo are generally Borg blades aimed at the DIY market.

Keith Hankins
07-23-2013, 10:28 AM
I've never been disappointed with either, but the Whitesides are made in the USA, and tend to consistently top out the comparison tests. Holbren's 10% "SMC10" prices them pretty nicely, and he'll have them in the mail about an hour after you place your order.

+1 on what you said. Thanks for the tip on Holbrens. Did not know that. I hate it when I'm looking for a bit and whiteside does not make it. Made in USA good enough for me. BTW, I have that bit, and used it a lot over the past couple years and it's a good one! But then, to be honest, never had a bad one from them. My first bit of choice!

Chris Hachet
07-24-2013, 3:48 PM
I have about a dozen Whiteside bits, including a flush trim, and they are outstanding. Also, why miss a chance of going to Woodcraft and spending even more on other stuff (or just drooling at some of the stuff).

Whiteside bits are fantastic, I like them even better than the AMANA bits....

Chris Hachet
07-24-2013, 3:49 PM
I only have a few Freud blades and routerbits, but they are superior to any others I have or have used. Of course, have never tried a Whiteside. I was aware they do not make a cheap line of blades for the diablo, they are the same as the other blades, just priced for less. I was hesitant to try the Whiteside because I read a bad review somehwre...once I started using them, I got hooked.

scott spencer
07-24-2013, 5:41 PM
The Diablo blades aren't the same as +
+

The Diablo line are definitely not the same as the industrial blades. The 7-1/4" line are std fare but the 10" line of Diablo are generally Borg blades aimed at the DIY market.

The Diablo blades are made on the same machinery, to the same standards, using the same caliber of steel, brazing, and carbide as the Industrial line. The Diablo line is mainly thin kerf, includes more circular saw blades, have less carbide, a more limited blade selection, and often have less elaborate anti-noise/anti-vibration slots. The Industrial line has larger carbide for more sharpenings, a more extensive selection of both thin kerf and full kerf blades, and tend to use higher end retailers. They're clearly aimed at different markets, but when you find the same blade design from Diablo and the Industrial line (like the D1050X/LU83R010 or D1060X/LU88R010), cutting performance should be very close.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nUNMRyTtL._SY300_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B9TSNHS1L._SX385_.jpg

David Kuzdrall
07-24-2013, 9:03 PM
I use the Freud bits from the Borg as disposables, but my nice bits are all whiteside...to be honest the price is not much different for typical stuff so I am trying to ony buy whiteside going forward...being made in USA is a nice touch too.

if you are not in a hurry, you can order them from Hartville Tool through Amazon and they ship then free...in NC I usually get them in 3-4 days.