View Full Version : joined the club

Zach England
11-10-2009, 8:34 PM
Sorry, could not resist but to share.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/zachslc/IMG_0385.jpg

gary Zimmel
11-10-2009, 8:52 PM
The picture says it all Zach.

You will now be broke for a long time....
This slope is mighty steep.
It won't be long and there will be more of its friends in your shop..

jerry nazard
11-10-2009, 9:25 PM
Nice! Have a fun ride down the slope.................:D

Mike Bosdet
11-11-2009, 1:14 AM
Is that a Veritas behind the LN?

Jim Koepke
11-11-2009, 1:45 AM
Nice toys.

jim

Jeff Willard
11-11-2009, 7:07 AM
You were warned, now you gone and dunnit.

Is not hobby-is disease.

Zach England
11-11-2009, 8:40 AM
Yeah, it is a veritas low-angle and LN standard angle. I wanted to experience the difference between the two types of block planes and figured neither one is a bad "investment" in my WW arsenal. I know some would say it is duplicitous, but my entry into handplanes has started with the small and is progressing to the large. I now also have a good stanley no. 4 with a LN iron and chipbreaker (more questions on that plane in another thread to come later today) and a veritas sholder plane. I also ordered a "BUS" and a toothed blade for the LV block plane. I am interested in seeing how the toothed blade works.

Doing a little bit of playing last night gave me the initial impression that I actually prefer the veritas to the LN. This is nothing against the LN, but the veritas fits my hand better. Myabe that is just becuase I have had it a while and am used to it. It also could be that it is a bit bigger. As far as overall quality goes, I'd call the LN first among equals. They are both very solid, feel about the same weight (even though the veritas is about .5 inch wider). The adjustment mechanisms of both are tight and precise, with a slight edge to the LN because the toe adjustment on the Veritas has just the slightest bit of left-right play. As far as aesthetics and finish go, it is really apples and oranges. I am too new to this to really have other opinions.

Tonight I am going to dig through my wood stack and find some difficult-to-work pieces and experiment some more.

I have no clue how I ever did anything resembling woodworking without hand planes. Moreso, I have no idea WHY.

Jim Koepke
11-11-2009, 1:51 PM
Doing a little bit of playing last night gave me the initial impression that I actually prefer the veritas to the LN. This is nothing against the LN, but the veritas fits my hand better. Myabe that is just becuase I have had it a while and am used to it. It also could be that it is a bit bigger.

This may be the biggest difference in quality tools. Different sized hands or different styles of gripping a tool will cause a person to "feel" more comfortable with one tool than the other.

On the other side of this, I have seldom found a poorly made tool that feels good in the hands.

jim