PDA

View Full Version : Bent

Mike Stephens
11-10-2009, 7:03 PM
Has any creeker out there ever bent a OW #2 chuck jaw. (talon)

I believe I bent mine. This was my own fault. I was turning a very large cherry NE that was fare from balanced.

Could I have done more then just bend the jaws of the chuck. I would really hate to spend $40.00 plus shipping for new jaws only to realize that the hole chuck has been damaged.

There is a significant amount of run out. So much that I can't turn with it. I know it is not the lathe because I just rebuilt the entire head stock. New bearings, pulleys, belt and spindle. (jet 1442)

Denis Puland
11-10-2009, 8:17 PM
Hi
I suppose it is possible but I have a Talon chuck and I find hard to visualize being able to bend a jaw or damage the rest of the chuck when using it hold a piece of wood.

I have a lathe with 20" swing and use Talons with very large and heavy pieces.

Have you had the chuck apart and installed the base jaws in the wrong order??
Just a thought.
Denis

Mike Stephens
11-10-2009, 8:26 PM
Hi
I suppose it is possible but I have a Talon chuck and I find hard to visualize being able to bend a jaw or damage the rest of the chuck when using it hold a piece of wood.

I have a lathe with 20" swing and use Talons with very large and heavy pieces.

Have you had the chuck apart and installed the base jaws in the wrong order??
Just a thought.
Denis

I have taken the chuck apart but did label he jaws. When you close the jaws all the way it is apparent the jaws are bent. Or if you open them and put them down on the cast iron table saw top the have a slight rock to them.

David E Keller
11-10-2009, 8:34 PM
Never heard of that but I guess it's possible. If you have another set of jaws, I'd try them to see if it's the chuck or the jaws. If not, I'd compare the jaws to each other and see if there's any difference in them. Let us know what you find out. I use a talon also so I'm interested to see what you find out.

Denis Puland
11-10-2009, 8:55 PM
I have taken the chuck apart but did label he jaws. When you close the jaws all the way it is apparent the jaws are bent. Or if you open them and put them down on the cast iron table saw top the have a slight rock to them.

Hi
If they are bent my best guess as to rest of the body would be that it will be ok.
In any event I can not see it as mistake to order new jaws, the tallon has a good reputation and doubt you could damage the body but???
I would not be surprized if they would not replace them for free if you contacted them.

Denis

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2009, 9:21 PM
Mike - I use the Talon also and am real curious as to exactly what happened to your chuck. I have held all sorts of weird and heavy shapes and can't imagine bending one of the jaws - let alone all of them.

Could you post some photos showing the damage? Oneway has a really good reputation when it comes to product quality and customer service. At the very least I would contact them and explain the problem and see what they suggest. Can't hurt anything!