PDA

View Full Version : Air hose connector: Industrial or Automotive?

Bill Fitch
11-10-2009, 6:51 PM
I have a fair number of air tools and hoses and have always used Automotive style connectors. These were recommended to me by several folks, but I have honestly never tried the Industrial connectors to understand why.

I am interested in the Industrial type for a new reason, I can get male connectors with a built in swivel. I have not been able to find the same deal in Automotive. The swivel would be nice on a small air gun like a brad nailer or pin nailer.

Which do you use, and why?

Anyone have any problems with either type?

Rather than totally switch over, I may just have a single hose with Industrial at the business end so I can use tools with swivels.

Thanks in advance.

mickey cassiba
11-10-2009, 7:22 PM
In the plant, I have finally finished standardizing the 500 or so connectors to the I/M type.When I started, it was a hodgepodge of automotive, I/M, and a bunch of oddball connectors that came with various machines or systems.I chose I/M as the standard simply because there were more of them installed than any other. Less to replace.
As an aside, all of our nailguns and small pneumatic tools are fitted with a "lead hose" about 12" long. Works better than a swivel in my opinion, less stress on the air supply lines. I have approximateley three miles of air hose to look after.
Mick

Bill Fitch
11-10-2009, 8:43 PM
Mick,
Just to make sure, the fitting you standardized on looks like this?

Where do you get your leaders, or do you make them?

Thanks,
Bill

Denny Rice
11-11-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a fair number of air tools and hoses and have always used Automotive style connectors. These were recommended to me by several folks, but I have honestly never tried the Industrial connectors to understand why.

I am interested in the Industrial type for a new reason, I can get male connectors with a built in swivel. I have not been able to find the same deal in Automotive. The swivel would be nice on a small air gun like a brad nailer or pin nailer.

Which do you use, and why?

Anyone have any problems with either type?

Rather than totally switch over, I may just have a single hose with Industrial at the business end so I can use tools with swivels.

Thanks in advance.

Bill,

I have always been able to use the "automotive" style connector without a problem, the only time I have ever had to modify away from this is when I worked in a shop with a compressor running at 140 P.S.I. and had to purchase a small paint gun style regulator to turn down the pressure to my nail guns. I took the connector on one end of the regulator and a quick connect with swivel on the other. I found it to be quite handy and have outfitted all my nail guns this way. I found it nice not have to walk 50' to change the PSI of my compressor every time I needed to change it.

mickey cassiba
11-11-2009, 7:27 AM
Mick,
Just to make sure, the fitting you standardized on looks like this?

Where do you get your leaders, or do you make them?

Thanks,
BillThat's the one, Bill The end nipple is just shy of 1/4" long. As to the leaders, I make them. I size one end to match the tool, some of our big wrenches have 1/2" inlets, though most every thing else is 1/4".

Bill Fitch
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks Mick. Maybe I will try the leader first before I swap out all my fittings.

Bill