PDA

View Full Version : Just got these today!

David Gendron
11-10-2009, 6:17 PM
Hello evryone! I just got these today from WoodCraft, some body mention here some time a go that they were on sale for $20 for the set of four so I went and got a set! They are Cabinet maker turn screw(screw drivers), They look good and feel good in the hand even if they don't have the oval handles. will try to get a picture and post it here! and let you know how they survive in the shop!

Dave Lehnert
11-10-2009, 8:49 PM
I got a set about a week ago. They look well made. But wonder why I even got them. Do they even make slot drive wood screws any longer?
You would think they would have made a set of mixed slot,Phillips , and square drive for todays woodworkers. But I guess why they were on clearance.

Richard Gillespie
11-10-2009, 8:55 PM
Lesson learned the hard way, slotted screw drivers of old were sized to match the various size screws. When my father passed away I threw out his collection of slotted screws. I hated them, they gave me fits, always camming out. Only after the fact did I learn of the sizing dictum's.

John Coloccia
11-10-2009, 9:06 PM
Most wood screws I see today are either slotted or square drive (I forget the name). Most phillips screws I see are drywall or deck screws. I have seen Posidriv wood screws.

Here's the thing: Phillips screws cam out all the time because they were designed to cam out before damaging other things. Flat heads, assuming the screw driver fits properly, can apply a great deal of torque, often breaking the screw head off before caming out.

I have a whole drawer in my tool chest full of POS screwdrivers, and most of them are name brands. I don't know what happened but I don't have one screwdriver that I bought in the last 10 years that's worth anything. Not only don't they fit any actual, you know, SCREWS, the metal has the consistency of cream cheese. The one I go to most often is one of those junky, 4-in-one screwdrivers where you have a big and little flat on one end, and then you flip the sleave over and there's a big and little phillips on the other end. It's about 20 years old and it's the only screwdriver I own that fits anything properly. How absurd.

How do those Woodcraft's fit? It might be a good start. Then I'd just need to find some decent phillips, reed&prince, posidrive, etc etc. LOL.

Someone...here's my money $$$$$$$$
Sell me a set of decent screwdrivers!

jerry nazard
11-10-2009, 9:22 PM
Here is my approach to screwdrivers. I have found that the APEX brand of driver bits are first-rate, especially the hollow ground bits for slotted screws. The slotted driver bits come sized small to large, long to short, and actually fit the slots on your screws properly. Just add handles and you have screwdrivers that work as they should. Perfectly.

george wilson
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I use a set of Brownell's gunsmith screwdriver sets. There are many,but I think I have the one that costs about $50.00. They are really for guns,but have enough selection of slotted screw bits that I haven't run into anything I can't get a blade to fit.

The ends of the screwdriver bits do not deform screw slots,especially valuable on very expensive guns.

The bits fit into a magnetic handle,and work without shake. All the bits are guaranteed for life. If you are serious about not messing up an otherwise nice job you have done,I suggest getting a set. You don't need a huge,much more costly set,and there are extra places in the case so you can add selected bits as you need them.

Brownell's Gunsmith Supply,Montezuma,Iowa. Ask them to send me a 10% royalty.:)

harry strasil
11-13-2009, 6:01 PM
combination screws have phillips and slots, so you can finish tightening or remove when them darn phillips cam out. And yes its hard to find slotted head screws now, but I use them for authenticity, the old black ones are really hard to find. and I save every slotted head screw I can find and clean them up.

and in the FWIW Dept, the snap on guy in the truck here kept the screwdrivers customers messed up and brought them to me and I reground them and he assemled them into sets to sell at reduced price. they sold good because I reground them on the side of the wheel so the grind marks went across the tip instead of long ways and that holds in the slot much better.

harry strasil
11-13-2009, 6:04 PM
and you forgot reed and prince and chevy's clutch head screw drivers.

lowell holmes
11-13-2009, 7:54 PM
I use wood screws and drill pilot holes with tapered bits from LV. The stress on the screw heads is minimized and only the last two turns require much force. The clamping action of the screw during the last two turns is remarkable.
I'm of the opinion that slotted head screws are fine if I use the proper pilot hole drill.

OBTW, I ordered and received the the set of screw drivers. I am pleased with them.

Matt Ranum
11-13-2009, 9:41 PM
A number of years back while in my local hardware store they had a set of Stanley "cabinet" screwdrivers on clearance and only 1 set left. I needed some more decent screwdrivers so figured I would give them a try. To this day I haven't found anything that compares to how they "fit" screw heads. Sad part is, I still can't seem to find any others to buy.

bridger berdel
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm not usually one to splurge on niceties like fancy screwdriver sets. now if I found it for way cheap at a yard sale, maybe... but what I do is take home any free or way cheap screwdriver I come across that looks like it might have decent steel, regardless of boogered-up condition. when I need a size I don't have ready I grab the nearest size boogered-up one and grind it to a good fit in that particular screw. I now have quite a few sizes of good ones and plenty of stock of donors to draw from for new ones or even to make other handled tools from.

I also have a well stocked and growing kit of bits and drivers in the 1/4" hex drive system.

David Gendron
11-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Great idea!

Dave Lehnert
11-16-2009, 11:30 PM
FYI- Lowes has a set of wooden handled screwdrivers in a gift box set. At my local store they were displayed in the seasonal area with all the gift type tools. They were in the $20 range.

David Gendron
11-17-2009, 12:32 AM
That's what I paid for these and they did came in a gift box!!

Dave Lehnert
11-17-2009, 4:12 PM
That's what I paid for these and they did came in a gift box!!

The one at Lowe's is a bigger set with Philip and slot. They are not a cabinet style driver like the Woodcraft ones but more like a standard driver with a nice wood handle.

george wilson
11-17-2009, 7:19 PM
Yesterday I saw a decent looking set of interchangeable blade screwdrivers made by Milwaukee for $39.00. They are about like the Brownell's set I mentioned above,but about $20.00 cheaper. Now I can't recall the name of the store! They sell reconditioned power tools.