PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Bowl

steven carter
11-10-2009, 2:06 PM
I have been on the lookout for ambrosia maple for a couple years to no avail. I've about come to the conclusion that the ambrosia beetle does not get as far north as central Indiana, but not sure. On a business trip to southern Indiana, I cam upon a downed maple tree by the highway on the edge of a farm field that had been cut into 2 ft sections. I could see from the road going 55 mph that it was ambrosia from the distictive pattern in the end grain, so I stoped and got permission to get a couple pieces, (it pays to look for wood while driving). This is the first bowl. It is 12.5" x 2.75", sanded to 320 then oil finish, buffed and ren wax.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2009, 2:10 PM
Pretty bowl Steve! Good form, lots of color to the wood and the bug holes add a little more character! Thanks for sharing!

Mike Minto
11-10-2009, 2:37 PM
i've always liked ambrosia maple - this is the largest piece of i've seen. very nice bowl. mike

Al Wasser
11-10-2009, 2:38 PM
good heist, er begging and good bowl. Just out of curiosity what did you do with the bug holes. I usually just ingnore them but wondered what others do.

steven carter
11-10-2009, 3:07 PM
Al,

I didn't do anything with the beetle holes other than use a tooth pick to try and get the white diamond out of them after buffing. Since the bowl is not likely going to be used to hold liquid, I figured I'd not fill them in.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Pretty bowl Steven. Really nice simple form and finish looks great.

David E Keller
11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Great looking bowl... Amazing what talent can do with roadside wood. If you drive by that place a lot and there's a possibility of more wood in the future, I'd turn something and take it to the guy that owns the land. One bowl might turn into a lifetime of free wood.

George Morris
11-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Love the bowl! ambrosia maple is the best next to walnut! G

Rob Cunningham
11-11-2009, 8:32 AM
Good roadside find and a real nice bowl.