PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0596 - Industrial grinder review

Greg Portland
11-10-2009, 2:36 AM
This review is about my Grizzly G0596 industrial bench grinder. If you read their catalog, it seem pretty obvious that they went about trying to make a direct competitor to Baldor's grinders. The G0596 is a 1 HP 8"x1" grinder with cast iron wheel guards and steel eye shields (with lighting). Compared to the Baldor, you get an extra 1/4 HP and a little more beef/weight for $170 less. Both companies offer a slow speed (1800RPM) grinder which is preferable for tool steel. Baldor is a well known name in motors but Grizzly also claims to use a high quality motor on this unit. I have taken heavy cuts with it and the motor does not get hot at all. Compare that with using my 3/4 HP Baldor buffer (the motor gets hot during extended use). So far, I have had zero issues with either unit failing. The coolant trough is fairly small, you are better off with a larger container mounted to your stand if you are doing a lot of grinding.

I use my grinder for rough sharpening & shaping metal. I quickly ordered Norton 3X stones for the grinder. The included stones (like most grinders) are very hard and make it easy to burn your edges when sharpening. The 'softer' Norton 3X stones are much more forgiving on tool steel. The wheels + the slow grinding speed make a good combination for sharpening & creating initial bevels. I finish sharpening with another method.

I would recommend this tool for people who constantly use their grinder (turners, metalworkers, people who incorporate metal into their work, etc.).

Pros: - indestructible
- Optional stand
- Lots of power w/o motor overheating problems
- Solid tool rests & eye guard adjustments
- built for daily use and abuse
- Price is attractive when compared with Baldor & others
Cons: - Overkill for most woodworkers
- Not portable unless you build a cart for it

Scott T Smith
11-10-2009, 2:44 AM
Greg, I have the same grinder and I'd have to say that you authored a pretty accurate review about it.

Jim Voos
01-15-2010, 4:27 PM
I was curious if you could tell us how true the shaft is when running. How long does the Grinder run after you turn it off? It would be interesting to know the tolerances if you guys could measure the runout

John Callahan
01-16-2010, 2:25 PM
Many thanks for the review .................. this is on my wish list. How good is the lighting?

Ken Garlock
01-16-2010, 6:36 PM
Hi Greg. That grinder look a lot like my Baldor 6". If you read the writeup at Grizzly, you will see that Griz contacted an American motor and grinder maker. That company 'wasn't interested in a new account.' So Griz went to Taiwan. You can't keep industry in the US, if the industry doesn't want the business.:mad:

george wilson
01-16-2010, 6:45 PM
The main problem with the Taiwan/Asian motors I have seen,is that they are not dipped in insulating varnish. I haven't looked into the motor on the Grizzly grinder,of course.

I had the 3 hp. motor on a Grizzly lathe arc across the bearings and blow out. I still have its brother lathe,both bought in 1986 at home. The one at home hasn't been used a lot as I always worked down town. I only hope it stands up,because I'm retired now,and using it more.

It has been recommended that you take your new Asian motors open,and have their armatures dipped. Of course,that is a lot of trouble,but I mention it for what it's worth.

Greg Wittler
01-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the review Greg, I was looking into Baldor & Grizzly Buffers earlier this evening (and for the past few months) and your review is the first I have found that compares both of them. I am planning on using it with a beall buffing system on a bentwood project that I will soon be working on where I want to achieve a highly polished finish. I am hoping the 1hp will be enough.

Greg2

Tom Henderson2
01-17-2010, 1:40 AM
Hi Greg. That grinder look a lot like my Baldor 6". If you read the writeup at Grizzly, you will see that Griz contacted an American motor and grinder maker. That company 'wasn't interested in a new account.' So Griz went to Taiwan. You can't keep industry in the US, if the industry doesn't want the business.:mad:

Most likely the issue was price. In other words, the US company wasn't interested in selling to Grizzly at the price point Grizzly wanted.

David Weaver
09-22-2010, 7:17 AM
Most likely the issue was price. In other words, the US company wasn't interested in selling to Grizzly at the price point Grizzly wanted.

Ditto that. Most of us claim to want the US made version, but nobody will pay for it when nobody is watching them purchase.

I'd pay the extra money for the baldor, you're only buying it once. Or better yet, wait a few months and find a used baldor for $300 with a stand.

Gary Herrmann
09-22-2010, 7:38 AM
I'm curious, how long does it take to spin down to a stop after it's gotten up to full speed?

Callan Campbell
09-22-2010, 9:00 AM
I've seen the grinders you mentioned in Grizzly's catalog for years. Always felt they were indeed overkill for my needs, but also always wondered how they stacked up against Baldor and others for this heavy of a unit. The weight alone of the larger units is pretty amazing:eek:. Not something you'd move too often:D.

Shiraz Balolia
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

No - they told us they already had a dealer in our city and did not want to jeopardize that business. Incidentally, it is a city of less than 100 thousand people and the dealer has three people working there. They primarily repair motors and hardly stock any Baldor products. Our first stocking order would have been 5 years of that dealer's purchases! I personally tried to go up the ladder, only to be told that they would sell to us the Baldor line if we converted every single machine we sold to have Baldor motors. We could not even get to the pricing and costs.

Perhaps they have had a change in mentality now that the economy may have taken its toll. We set out to make a better grinder than theirs and succeeded.

Andrew Joiner
09-22-2010, 1:21 PM
No - they told us they already had a dealer in our city and did not want to jeopardize that business. Incidentally, it is a city of less than 100 thousand people and the dealer has three people working there. They primarily repair motors and hardly stock any Baldor products. Our first stocking order would have been 5 years of that dealer's purchases! I personally tried to go up the ladder, only to be told that they would sell to us the Baldor line if we converted every single machine we sold to have Baldor motors. We could not even get to the pricing and costs.

Perhaps they have had a change in mentality now that the economy may have taken its toll. We set out to make a better grinder than theirs and succeeded.

Thanks Shiraz,

It's great to find out how the business really is. I get the feeling Baldor is "old school" and may have lost out on a great partnership with you.

David Weaver
09-22-2010, 1:29 PM
We set out to make a better grinder than theirs and succeeded.

Bit early to tell if that's the case, no?

And I don't carry any water for baldor - have no products in my shop with a baldor motor, just figure it may take 50 years or more to tell if that statement is true.

Gary Herrmann
09-22-2010, 1:41 PM
We set out to make a better grinder than theirs and succeeded.

Shiraz, I'm thinking about a new grinder. Can you tell me how this one is better than a Baldor 8" slow speed grinder?

I'm not looking for a flame war. I have 5 tools in my shop that have Baldor motors. If a better option is available, I want to know about it.

Greg Portland
09-23-2010, 6:32 PM
I'd pay the extra money for the baldor, you're only buying it once.I didn't and have not regretted it. I have one Baldor product in my shop (buffer) and one Grizzly product (grinder). The Baldor motor gets very hot to the touch after prolonged use (10+ minutes). I have not had the problem with the Grizzly grinder. I'm not sure that means anything in terms of quality or longevity but it is a noticeable difference.

I've had both products for a few years and neither has had any problems.

Greg Portland
09-23-2010, 6:34 PM
I was curious if you could tell us how true the shaft is when running. How long does the Grinder run after you turn it off? It would be interesting to know the tolerances if you guys could measure the runoutJim, I just noticed this post. I'll see if I have time to measure it tonight and will add the info to the thread.

Greg Portland
09-23-2010, 9:13 PM
OK, I measured the arbor runout using two methods. One with the measuring base attached to the surface that the grinder base sits on & one on the tool rest. Spinning the arbor freehand I got runout less than 0.001 (accuracy of my dial meter). With the base attached to the tool rest I could not register any runout, even by yanking or pressing on the wheel and arbor (both sides). This is after using the tool for 2+ years.

Attached are a few pics showing the inside of each grinding wheel enclosure. You can see the thick support plates and 1" arbor for the grinding wheels. Sorry George, I did not want to crack open the motor case to check for insulating varnish. Since this is a metalworking tool (fine metal shavings everywhere) Grizzly may have been more prone to insulating the motor.

Greg Portland
09-24-2010, 2:37 PM
Someone PM'd me about the little plastic ring next to the wheel support plates. That is for holding the wire wheel (shims / rings typically included with most wire wheel purchases.

Van Huskey
09-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I didn't and have not regretted it. I have one Baldor product in my shop (buffer) and one Grizzly product (grinder). The Baldor motor gets very hot to the touch after prolonged use (10+ minutes). I have not had the problem with the Grizzly grinder. I'm not sure that means anything in terms of quality or longevity but it is a noticeable difference.

I've had both products for a few years and neither has had any problems.

Not saying either one is better BUT I assume you know a hot motor means nothing if it is designed to run at the higher temp. It is all design and engineering decisions some make no sense to us but make sense to the manufacturer. If the Baldor fails prematurely (about 3 lifetimes outside a production environment) due to heat, then there is an issue.

Dave Lehnert
09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
WOW! $569 delivered. Woodcraft grinder can almost be had on sale for the shipping cost.
But the Woodcraft unit has a lot of bad reviews on vibration.

What does a comparable Baldor cost?

Van Huskey
09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
What does a comparable Baldor cost?

Don't have an exact cost but at a minamum twice as much for a 1hp Baldor grinder.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-24-2010, 11:39 PM
I wondered what a Baldor would cost. I just Googled and went to a site. A 3/4 HP 1800 RPM was priced from a little over $600 to a little over $700.

Tom Godley
09-25-2010, 6:40 PM
I have been looking ...........The Baldor that normally pops up on Google for $600 is the 3 phase -- plus shipping. The nice slow speed 110V one with the lighted wheels is around $850.00 + shipping.

We ended up taking a drive -- went out to the tent sale and then to Cabela for some items we need for an upcoming trip.

Not much going on at the sale this year -- but I picked up the 8" grinder. Very nice unit. So I paid tax -- no shipping and Grizzly was giving $30.00 off with a purchase.

Do I need to count the 20 gallons of premium ??

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Bump to top old thread from 2009.

How is the Grizzly grinder holding up and did anyone figure out if their motors are dipped.

Scott T Smith
10-14-2013, 9:56 AM
Bump to top old thread from 2009.

How is the Grizzly grinder holding up and did anyone figure out if their motors are dipped.

Mine is still holding up just fine. I just timed how long it takes to spin down to zero after shutting it off, and it's a few seconds shy of two minutes.