PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Samples

Billy Tallant
11-10-2009, 1:41 AM
Been busy the past few days trying to get out a few acrylics. Finished the last one in the group today after work. Had my 1st acrylics blow out today. I hate losing blanks that way... Got to make sure that skew is really sharp & remember light touches. Excuse the photo, that is another job needing to learn.

Gary Simmons
11-10-2009, 8:14 AM
Billy
Nice job on the pens... I've had some tough time with acrylic and at the price I've stayed away from it. Expensive to loose a piece to a blow out.
As you say the tools need to be sharp, but if you get it right, the looks are great...nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2009, 9:55 AM
Nice work on all the pens Billy! Very nice variety!

Dennis McGarry
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Very sharp looking pens!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Those are beauties Billy. Very well done.

David E Keller
11-10-2009, 8:52 PM
Great group of pens. I hate turning acrylics but must admit they look nice when they're finished

Billy Tallant
11-12-2009, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

I've just started turning acrylics. I like the way they polish up. But they sure require a sharp tool. I've had two blow outs on them, so I'm learning to really slow down & use a light touch.

Wally Dickerman
11-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Been busy the past few days trying to get out a few acrylics. Finished the last one in the group today after work. Had my 1st acrylics blow out today. I hate losing blanks that way... Got to make sure that skew is really sharp & remember light touches. Excuse the photo, that is another job needing to learn.

Some very nice pens.

I've been turning some acrylics with no problems and I'm wondering what a blowout is and just what happens to cause one.

Wally

Chris Stolicky
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the compliments.

I've just started turning acrylics. I like the way they polish up. But they sure require a sharp tool. I've had two blow outs on them, so I'm learning to really slow down & use a light touch.

I have had a range of experiences with acrylic blanks. Yes, keep your tools sharp. I find that turning at high speed is easier than slower speeds. I usually turn pens around 2700 rpms these days. The faster the blank spins the easier it is to take lighter cuts. Just don't heat up the blank too much.

The other thing about acrylics, is the type of acrylic it is. I have had great luck with the acrylic acetates, PR, aluminite, and lucite. I have had very bad experiences with inlace acrylester.

ron hossack
11-14-2009, 9:01 AM
Very nice ...

I have yet to be successful with acrylics ...

I just received a few blanks in a trade so I guess I'm going to try again

Billy Tallant
11-14-2009, 2:15 PM
Some very nice pens.

I've been turning some acrylics with no problems and I'm wondering what a blowout is and just what happens to cause one.

Wally

My terminology might not be accurate. Blowout to me is when half of my blank goes flying off of the lathe. What causes it, "Simple-I did by not being careful enough". My theory on acrylics, some have slight air pockets. So while turning, you may notice these imperfections. I think when using skew, I put a little too much pressue on the blank & snag this imperfection. Hence the blowout.

Remedy, I've got to keep my skew sharp & remember light cuts.