PDA

View Full Version : Wenzloff saws: Kenyon vs. LV

Matt Stiegler
11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
There are two different styles of Wenzloff backsaws one can buy: the Kenyon (http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/wenzloff_saws.htm) saws from the Seaton chest at the Best Things, and the late-19th century-modeled saws at LV (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57152&cat=1,42884). (More than two, actually, since he used to make custom saws, and his web site indicates he's going to be making a house line of saws too).

Anyway, I'm sure there must be threads discussing the comparative virtues of the Wenzloff Kenyon saws and the Wenzloff LV saws, but after a bit of hunting I can't find them.

Anyone tried them both and able to offer a comparison (or point me to another thread)?

Martin Peek
11-10-2009, 1:43 AM
Wenzloff saws are superb!

The big difference for me is the london-pattern handles on the kenyon saws, which, for me, pushes lower down in my hand. I urge you to try it out in person.

Jack Camillo
11-10-2009, 5:51 AM
I don't think the style will matter to the cut. I would select by overall length, rip or crosscut, and teeth per inch. After that, which ever flavor appeals to you. Both are beautiful, superbly made craftsman saws.

Robert Rozaieski
11-10-2009, 8:42 AM
The difference is in the feel of the saw, not so much in the performance. The older style saws like the Kenyon have a different hang to them. This causes more of the force of sawing to be more forward and less down as opposed to later style saws like the Disstons which have more down force. Adam Cherubini theorized that the older style with the lower hang will provide you with more control but will not be tolerant of slightly dull teeth (i.e. the teeth won't bite well unless they are very sharp), while the newer saws with more down force (because of the higher hang angle) will tolerate duller teeth due to the additional down force but will offer less control to the user.

I haven't used the 18th century style tenon and sash saws that I made long enough to confirm or refute this, but I can say for sure that they feel different in use than the typical Disston style. I like them a lot so far, but the feel is definately different than one might be used to if you are accustomed to more modern saw geometries. I suggest trying both out if you can to see which feels better/more comfortable to you in use. I know both companies have a very good return policy and likely would not take issue with returning the one you didn't like (or liked less as I'm sure you will like them both ;)).

mike holden
11-10-2009, 9:53 AM
Matt,
I used to use a Tyzack, then took a class with the Schwarz and got to try his Kenyon style. Went home and ordered one. That was two years ago, and I do not regret it a bit.
Yes, the big difference is feel, but - what a feeling!
I dont think that you will notice much if you have not been using a tenon saw for awhile, friends who are not hand tool users have tried it and given me the "so?" look.

Recommended: The regular saw, when you get ready for another step up, then the Kenyon.

Mike

Matt Stiegler
11-10-2009, 2:21 PM
Thanks, those are helpful responses.

Phillip Pattee
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Mike Wenzloff explains in this thread what the differences are between his two saws sold at LV and TBT. You probably won't get a better answer than that.:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124408&page=2