PDA

View Full Version : Wood Floor Nailers ???

Joe Mcclaran
11-09-2009, 9:02 PM
Hi all, I'm getting ready to put down some hardwood flooring. My question is, is there a web-site on the best way to do this? Why is there so much a difference in the price of nailers? Thanks Joe

Dan Friedrichs
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I assume you're talking about pneumatic floor nailers or staplers.

I did a few hundred sqft in my house using the Bostitch MIII (which is apparently the de facto standard flooring nailer/stapler). Everything I read said that you'd be a fool not to use this model. I found it workable. It had some quirks I didn't like, but I have nothing to compare it to.

I wonder how good of job the HF or Grizzly models would do (as they're REALLY cheap, comparatively). You could buy the HF, try it, and return it if it doesn't do a decent job.

What I did was buy a used MIII off eBay. I used it for the job I did, then I re-sold it for the same price. You should consider that an option.

Anthony Scira
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
How much is a rental vs a purchase ?

I guess with that it depends on how long you plan on taking putting in the floor.

Pat Germain
11-10-2009, 4:49 PM
I installed a hardwood floor last year. I looked at renting a flooring stapler. I had planned to take my time and calculated a rental was not a good option. Also, the rental units I saw were very beat up.

I also didn't want to pony up over $400 for a Bostich. Although I've read far and wide the Bostich is a great tool, I was doing one job and not starting a hardwood flooring installation business.

I bought a Grizzly flooring stapler. It worked great! The hardest part was dialing it in. I did a lot of practice on a piece of plywood. I had to keep dialing down the air pressure to keep the gun from driving the staple clear through the flooring. Once I got the pressure dialed in, it was no problem.

I did pony up extra for Bostich staples. I had a buy a very large box, but I think it was worth it. I read about installing floors until my eyes were bleeding. I saw many a story where cheap staples caused problems.

Chi Cheng
11-10-2009, 6:45 PM
I personally have a bostich floor model and I love it. bought it used off of craigs list.

But the pro installers were using a HF model nail stapler for my mother's house when I was watching them install the 3/4 oak flooring. It came out flawless, which probably has something to do with their skill level.

Also I have this webpage bookmarked when I did my wood floor. It was helpful and at least worth looking at.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/flooring/hardwood/wh_oak1/stapled.htm

Dan Friedrichs
11-10-2009, 7:24 PM
I had to keep dialing down the air pressure to keep the gun from driving the staple clear through the flooring. Once I got the pressure dialed in, it was no problem.

+1. Even the Bostitch had a range of about 38-42PSI that it worked best at. Even slightly outside of that (for my flooring material, at least), and it would either split the tongue or not seat the staple fully. It was also very sensitive to the force you applied with the hammer - had to learn to hit it just right.