PDA

View Full Version : When was your Grizzly made?

Bill Fitch
11-09-2009, 8:38 PM
Hi All,
I just received a G0490 jointer. It was manufactured in February 2008.

Can you please post your manufacturing date and when you received your tool? I just want to know if mine is unusually old or not.

Thanks,
Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Bill,

With all due respect and sincerity, why would it matter. This isn't Budweiser with a "born on" date or it's not some dairy product that has an expiration date.

2ndly,

Keep in mind, these are manufactured overseas. I'll bet they have a scheduled production run and a scheduled shipping date. I'd bet there could be months between the time they are produced and the time they are shipped to the USA.

I don't see why you should be concerned.

mickey cassiba
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Bill,

With all due respect and sincerity, why would it matter. This isn't Budweiser with a "born on" date or it's not some dairy product that has an expiration date.

2ndly,

Keep in mind, these are manufactured overseas. I'll bet they have a scheduled production run and a scheduled shipping date. I'd bet there could be months between the time they are produced and the time they are shipped to the USA.

I don't see why you should be concerned.
Bill, Ken hit it right on the head, containers are packed, and partially empty containers are never shipped. At Delta I can remember more than one container of 18" band saws with date codes months apart. Consider also, that the machines sit in various distribution centers across the country, where items can be shifted around to make space for new arrivals. or a new manager's scheme of streamlining the operation. Of main concern to me would be the "Type" designation, which usually follows the model number. As long as you have received the latest type, the date code should be a non-issue. Cast iron only gets better with age.
Mick

glenn bradley
11-09-2009, 10:50 PM
My G0490X is dated 10-2007. I received it 05-2008. This basic design (a Delta DJ-20 more or less I think) hasn't changed for many years. I've seen pretty old Wood Magazine issues with the same jointer advertised. I see no value in having a "fresh" one. They all come covered in stinky goo anyway :D:D:D

Bill Fitch
11-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks. That kind of spread in dates seems a bit more reasonable to me.

Anyone else?

Harold Burrell
11-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi All,
I just received a G0490 jointer. It was manufactured in February 2008.

Can you please post your manufacturing date and when you received your tool? I just want to know if mine is unusually old or not.

Thanks,
Bill

Hmmm...good question...I just recently bought a TS so let me check...

Hey! What's this??? 06/61?!!! What the...???

Oh...wait...that's the model number. My bad.

;)

scott vroom
11-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I received my G0940 last month; it is dated Feb 2008 (same as yours). I'm not particularly concerned as long as the tool they shipped includes the most recent upgrades/design improvements. I'll probably call Grizz tomorrow and ask.

By the way, I recently received a new G0690 TS (June 2009 mfg date) and new G0453Z planer (Sept 2009 mfg date).

Bill Fitch
11-10-2009, 8:45 AM
Scott,
Thanks for the info. It is nice to know that I did not receive a jointer from the back of warehouse 13:).

Looking at the current manual, it appears that the newer jointers have a ribbed v-belt and pulleys. My guess is they changed these to reduce vibration and possibly belt slap. Nothing else in the manual jumps out at me as being different.

I am eyeing the G0453. It is a pretty good price now with free shipping.

Just curious, how did your table mount on the stand? The holes in my stand are almost as big as the cap screws that mount the table. No matter what I do, the attachment is pretty funky.

Bill

Rod Sheridan
11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I received my G0940 last month; it is dated Feb 2008 (same as yours). I'm not particularly concerned as long as the tool they shipped includes the most recent upgrades/design improvements. I'll probably call Grizz tomorrow and ask.

By).

Scott, I'd be interested in the answer to this as I can't understand why a manufacturer update a piece of machinery, unless there was a safety recall on it.

Please keep us informed..........Thanks, Rod.

Bill Fitch
11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I talked to technical support this morning. The story I got was that the only changes are a new style of ribbed v-belt and pulleys, that everything else has remained the same.

Cliff Holmes
11-10-2009, 1:06 PM
G7943 RADP - man 04/08 - del 09/08
G0490 jointer - man 10/08 - del 07/09
G0441 cyclone - man 08/08 - del 08/09

My G1023SL saw just says "2008" as the manufactured date, delivered 12/08

Rod Sheridan
11-10-2009, 1:42 PM
I talked to technical support this morning. The story I got was that the only changes are a new style of ribbed v-belt and pulleys, that everything else has remained the same.

So no upgrades to in stock machines?

regards, Rod.