PDA

View Full Version : Digital Height Gauge.

MichaelA Cooper
11-09-2009, 7:03 PM
I bought a digital height gauge a while back and for some reason never used it, just put it back in the box and on the shelf. I didn't have anything to do in the shop today so I was looking for something to fiddle with and took the thing down. I originally bought it for the table saw, to help set the blade height more accurately. I gave it a try and it works great! You have to fiddle around a little and sneak up on the adjustment but once you get it set to the height you want, it is dead on the money!
Do any of you folks use digital height gauges to set the height of your table saw blades or maybe router bits?
Thanks for checking out my post!!
Michael

Tom Veatch
11-09-2009, 7:15 PM
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but have been oscillating back and forth on the subject. Seems like one would be mighty handy, especially for TS dados and several things on the router table. I've been using aluminum setup blocks and this device (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30074&cat=1,240,41064)for several years. They're ok if your height meets one of the steps, but many times what you need doesn't fit 1/8" increments.

Thanks for posting.

BTW, which one do you have?

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2009, 7:20 PM
Do any of you folks use digital height gauges to set the height of your table saw blades or maybe router bits?
Michael

I ordered a new table saw with a built in digital gauge in the elevation hand wheel, same for my shaper.

I already had one on the planer and really enjoyed it.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
11-09-2009, 7:20 PM
I did this with mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130858&d=1256312662

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130859&d=1256312662

The yellow one was a temporary that became invaluable. I like the format so much I bought the fractional one with the intention of cannibalizing it. I use them for setting the TS, RT height and fence offset, adding a jig's thickness to a desired plunge depth on a router, all sorts of stuff.

Anthony Whitesell
11-09-2009, 9:25 PM
My father bought me the Rockler gauge for my birthday. I love it. I use it to set me table saw blade as well as my router bit height and my jointer bed difference, it reaches right over the cutterhead.

Dan Friedrichs
11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I have something similar to Glenn's that I made with a cheap 6" HF caliper.

I'm planning on making a new one with magnets in the base, and a magnet to hold the movable part to the bit/blade.

richard poitras
11-10-2009, 8:33 AM
I bought a digital height gauge a while back and for some reason never used it, just put it back in the box and on the shelf. I didn't have anything to do in the shop today so I was looking for something to fiddle with and took the thing down. I originally bought it for the table saw, to help set the blade height more accurately. I gave it a try and it works great! You have to fiddle around a little and sneak up on the adjustment but once you get it set to the height you want, it is dead on the money!
Michael

What brands of heights gauges do you have or recommend if using them?

Gary Muto
11-10-2009, 8:39 AM
I just bought the Rockler gauge 2 weeks ago when it was on sale ~$35-40. I really like the heavy base and wide blade to help find the top of a saw blade. I'm sure it will work great with the router table too and negate the need for a dedicated height gauge there. $40 for a time saver seems worth it.
Glenn,
Nice work. Especiall with the HF caliper. For ~$6 I'd say that make you the New (West Coast) Yankee. Makes me feel a little foolish for spending the money on the Rockler gauge, but my time is very limited and I do like the heft of the metal base.

Lewis Cobb
11-10-2009, 8:47 AM
Michael

Here's my version - this was the first real measurement jig I made and I can't believe how handy it's been. I made it for setting the jointer table offset, but lately have been using it to set all sorts of mating surfaces flush with each other like tablesaw wings, planer wings etc. It's not digital, well......wait a sec it is - there's digits on the dial :D

Now that I have seen Glenn's contraption though, I'm planning to make something similar.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Jigs/146_46341.jpg

Bill Huber
11-10-2009, 9:05 AM
I have the Wixey and use it on the table saw, the router table and the router base.

http://www.wixey.com/heightgauge/gallery/index.html

On the table saw it is great because it has a good magnet on the base and it stays put when you set it down.

On the router table I set the bit height and the fence with it.

With any of the height gauges it is so nice to be able to zero it at the height you are at then raise it just that little bit more to make the finished cut. I really like them and it one of those things that once you start using it, its hard to do without it.

glenn bradley
11-10-2009, 9:11 AM
Glenn,
Nice work. Especiall with the HF caliper. For ~$6 I'd say that make you the New (West Coast) Yankee. Makes me feel a little foolish for spending the money on the Rockler gauge, but my time is very limited and I do like the heft of the metal base.

I wouldn't feel foolish at all. The absence of a 3rd decimal position or the ability to readout in fractions was always a weakness of my first attempt. I made the HF version at first because I thought it was kinda cool looking. It rapidly became very useful and I always wanted to make a fractional one. I even thought about hacking away at a stainless steel fractional caliper that I use because $50+ seemed a bit high for what I wanted. The height gauge I cannibalized showed up on sale somewhere (kinda like you with Rockler) and I went for it ; -)

Philip Rodriquez
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I have had this one for several years. I use it for the TS, Jointer, Planer and Router Table. It is perfect for all sorts of uses. By far, blows everything else away.

http://www.oneway.ca/workshop/multi-gauge.htm

Myk Rian
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I use this.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=931279&postcount=11

MichaelA Cooper
11-10-2009, 2:01 PM
Outstanding!!!!
Glad to see I'm not alone on this one! :D
I bought my height gauge from Rockler. I checked it out and can't find a brand name on it or the box.
You guys sure have come up with some great height gauges of your own design!!!
I have a digital caliper I might use to make the one Glenn posted the picture of to set the router table fence.
Michael