PDA

View Full Version : Bubinga on a wall street II

Dennis McGarry
11-09-2009, 6:34 PM
Ok decided to take a break from the acrylics and turn a wood one, Cut the blank out of a nice piece of Bubinga that I have acquired. Paired it to a Wall Street II in gold..

Comments welcome, I know the finish leaves some to be desired, i cant not seem to get back into a good blo/ca finish, starts looking great, nice depth and then cloudy.

Also if anyone would like some Bubinga blanks, I am thinking of cutting some up for sale..

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2009, 9:33 PM
Nice looking pen. I quit using BLO with CA as it was a pain. I use strictly thin CA for the first couple of coats then medium CA to put 3 to 4 more coats on. After they have dried I buff them to a high polish.

Dennis McGarry
11-09-2009, 9:43 PM
Nice looking pen. I quit using BLO with CA as it was a pain. I use strictly thin CA for the first couple of coats then medium CA to put 3 to 4 more coats on. After they have dried I buff them to a high polish.

Hmm Might have to try that. Got a buffing wheel for the bench grinder, think i will put in on tomorrow and give it a go. Thanks!

Darren Mullin
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Dennis

Nice looking pens. I am new to turning, do you prefer acrylic or wood for turning pens.

Bernie do you buff the pens between coats of CA or do you just buff at the end after the CA has dried

Dennis McGarry
11-09-2009, 11:17 PM
When I first got started (abit only a year ago) all I did was wood, and was able to do a pretty fine finish on them. Took a break for a few months and now I really love acrylics Super easy to finish. MM and polish.

BUT acrylics are a little more difficult to turn, you have to be a little more carefully in turning and prepping. Sharp tools are a must.

Over all, I still love to turn both. With wood it all natural and more often then not, what you think is a plain blank will turn into something amazing..

Mark Hix
11-10-2009, 8:11 PM
nice pen.
I rarely use BLO anymore either. Medium CA. I also gave up micromesh. 5-6 coats of CA, if it gets some ridges, sand them w/ 600 just a little and then buff w/ white diamond and EEE. you cannot tell the difference between the buffed ones and the micro mesh ones, alot less time for me. I hold the barrells on a dowel (or my transfer punch) to buff them.

on acrylics, I turn, sand a little and go straight to the buffer.

David E Keller
11-10-2009, 8:39 PM
Nice pen. I use medium thin CA for 3 or 4 coats on average then wet sand 600 then EEE, white diamond, renaissance, and buff.