PDA

View Full Version : Alergic reactions - Buffing or saw dust?

Richard Kagen
11-09-2009, 6:21 PM
I took off the summer from turning and then came Sept & Oct when I build drama sets for the local high school. (I figure you can't complain that the kids just hang out drinking and doing drugs and not pitch in and support them with good, constuctive activities.) Anyway, finally got back to the lathe on Friday and my neck and inner elbows have been on fire, red and itchy since. I can not figure out if it is the saw dust or the tripole/white diamond compound from the beal system.

Anyone else have this problem

Wally Dickerman
11-09-2009, 6:41 PM
Many people who have been working with wood for a long time develop allergies to certain kinds of wood. One of my favorite woods is cocobolo. After turning it for years I developed an allergy, heavy rash, etc. I can't even come close to using it anymore.

You didn't say what kind of wood you were turning. If it was one of the exotics, that could possibly be your problem. However, some domestic woods can bring you grief too. Lots of people are allergic to western red cedar for example.

Wally

Jake Helmboldt
11-09-2009, 8:24 PM
I get a reaction to padauk, so as already mentioned it could be a particular wood. Also, such sensitivities often develop over time.

Steve Schlumpf
11-09-2009, 9:07 PM
Wally hit it pretty much right on the head - some people develop allergies or heightened sensitivities with exposure over time. I am one of those folks who love Cedar but will itch and break out anywhere I come in contact with the dust! It was the main reason I bought my Trend Dust mask and while it helps - I have to scrub up immediately after turning Cedar or pay the price.

Hope you get better soon!

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2009, 9:10 PM
I agree with the rest that it is probably the wood dust. I have never heard anyone that had allergies to the buffing system.