PDA

View Full Version : Shaper for router bit

Drew Sanderson
11-09-2009, 4:53 PM
I often see shapers on craigslist for less than a new router lift and was wondering how well they work comparatively with the understanding that I only plan to use router bits.

Do you find the slower speed of 10,000 rpm in a shaper vs the 21,000 of a router to be an issue when using a router bit?

pat warner
11-09-2009, 5:00 PM
Major handicap. Router bit efficiency vs RPM curves don't start to peak until ~18000 RPM.
(Efficiency = stock removal with least amount of energy spent, both human & electrical.)

Drew Sanderson
11-09-2009, 5:49 PM
Great technical answer! Thank you!

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2009, 6:53 PM
I've used router bits in my shaper and they are OK, not great however.

Once you use a shaper cutter in a shaper however, In my opinion you'll not want to go backwards to a router.

Powerful, smooth, quiet, excellent cutting geometry, fine finish, the ability to make heavy cuts, mount a power feeder, and use the occasional router bit as the work demands.

If you're working in solid wood, an insert head with HSS knives will out perform a router by orders of magnitude, and the knives are in the $20 range for a pair.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. You don't see any "My shaper table is sagging" threads either.

Drew Sanderson
11-09-2009, 6:59 PM

Thus my interest in a shaper.

Thank for the opinion Rod. I appreciate it :)

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2009, 7:29 PM
Thus my interest in a shaper.

Thank for the opinion Rod. I appreciate it :)

You're welcome, I'm eagerly awaiting my new shaper, with tilting spindle and sliding table.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
11-09-2009, 7:48 PM

Hahahah, that one got me :D.

Josiah Bartlett
11-09-2009, 8:35 PM
Running a router bit on a shaper is a lot like running a Skilsaw blade on a cabinet saw- it'll cut, but you won't like the results, and the cabinet saw wasn't really designed with that in mind.

Rod Sheridan
11-10-2009, 9:23 AM
Running a router bit on a shaper is a lot like running a Skilsaw blade on a cabinet saw- it'll cut, but you won't like the results, and the cabinet saw wasn't really designed with that in mind.

Hi, I certainly agree to a point, however my present shaper has a maximum spindle speed of 10,000 RPM, my new shaper has a maximum spindle speed of 12,000 RPM.

Some shapers run into the 15,000 RPM range with their router spindles.

While 10,000 to 15,000 RPM is slow for a 1/4" router bit, it's just fine for cope and stick bits, panel raising bits, and edge moulding bits.

I certainly agree with the fact that a shaper will produce a much nicer surface finish than a router, when using shaper cutters, however many people run router bits in their shaper with very good results.

I recently made some baseboard for a friend, and had to use one router bit in the shaper as I didn't have that knife profile.

It was slow, I had to drop the feeder to 10 feet per minute, however the results were very good, and as I was only making 16 feet of baseboard it wasn't too bad having to feed that slowly.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Duncan
11-10-2009, 9:31 AM
Actually running a router bit on a shaper can give much better results than a router table. Saying otherwise indicates to me either a broad overstatement, or a lack of actual experience?
Now the question is what types of bits are you trying to run? Smaller bits such as 1/4" roundovers and the like certainly prefer the high rpm's routers provide. However larger bits....for instance sticking profiles, raised panels, even larger thumbnail bits, work very well on a shaper. In my experience the router is too fast for these larger bits, which makes the shaper perfectly suited for their use. I have 2 shapers and a router table and all get frequent use. Comes down to what bits are you using?
Lastly router lifts are not a necessity for good results on a router table. They do seem to be the "IN" thing right now, but you'll never see me spend that kind of money for one. I have a simple setup with a PC 690 router hanging from a off-the-shelf plate. I can easily adjust it from under the table with it's marked increments in 64th's of an inch, which you can split to get a fairly accurate 128th of an inch. Usually I just align the bit by eye though. Come to think of it I've never even seen a router lift in a pro shop, we all seem to get by with simple;)
good luck,
JeffD

Josiah Bartlett
11-10-2009, 1:18 PM
Hi, I certainly agree to a point, however my present shaper has a maximum spindle speed of 10,000 RPM, my new shaper has a maximum spindle speed of 12,000 RPM.

Some shapers run into the 15,000 RPM range with their router spindles.

While 10,000 to 15,000 RPM is slow for a 1/4" router bit, it's just fine for cope and stick bits, panel raising bits, and edge moulding bits.

I certainly agree with the fact that a shaper will produce a much nicer surface finish than a router, when using shaper cutters, however many people run router bits in their shaper with very good results.

I recently made some baseboard for a friend, and had to use one router bit in the shaper as I didn't have that knife profile.

It was slow, I had to drop the feeder to 10 feet per minute, however the results were very good, and as I was only making 16 feet of baseboard it wasn't too bad having to feed that slowly.

Regards, Rod.

Of course, I was making a sweeping statement about the typical shaper. There are certainly some shapers that make some improvements and run router bits well, and the extra mass of the table and the smoothness of the induction motor would make a big improvement over your typical router table. Every rule has an exception.