PDA

View Full Version : Best 15-16ft tape measure?

Roger Jensen
11-09-2009, 4:34 PM
I know it sounds silly, but I have tried most of them and can't find one I really like. I do all of my work in a shop, measuring cabinets and shelving.

Just curious if anyone has a strong recommendation.

Thanks,

Roger

Mike Heidrick
11-09-2009, 4:36 PM
Try the Fat Max?

Gerry Werth
11-09-2009, 4:55 PM
I like the FastCap, either Pro Carpenter, or the Lefty-Righty. I use the Lefty-Righty mostly in the shop. Check Rockler, maybe even Woodcrafters.

Roger Jensen
11-09-2009, 5:12 PM
I have the Lefty-Righty (it is actually the one I like the best so far), but it doesn't extend quite as far as I like and it gets bent if you retract the blade quickly, i.e. it comes back so fast it whips around and gets bent.

I also like the pencil sharpener in it.

Roger

mickey cassiba
11-09-2009, 5:47 PM
You guys may get a kick out of this, but I've been using an old (15y. o.) Lufkin 16 footer daily for 15 years. I replaced the blade a few years ago, but only because I couldn't read it. Never had a bit of trouble, not even with the belt clip.
Your mileage may vary.
Mickey

David G Baker
11-09-2009, 5:50 PM
There may be better tape measures out there but I am still happy with my 30 year old Craftsman. The Fat Max is fine as well. Haven't been introduced to the Lefty-Righty yet, will have to check it out on the Net.

Walter Plummer
11-09-2009, 5:54 PM
I use and prefer Stanley Power lock tapes. Just got a flyer from McFeelys. They have all of the Fastcap tapes for sale.

Ray Newman
11-09-2009, 6:12 PM
I have a 16 foot Starrett. Of all the tapes that I bought over the years, it is still easiest for me to read.

Dave Sweeney
11-09-2009, 6:13 PM
I usually grab for my FastCap lefty/righty first and I also have a Luftkin that I like that I've had forever.

Josh Reet
11-09-2009, 6:29 PM
FatMax, FATMAX, FATMAX!

Seriously though, once you use them, you get addicted to the standout ability of the wider/tougher tapes. And the fatmax and fatmax extreme are the class leaders as far as I am concerned.

Now, a 9 or 11 foot standout isn't as important when making stuff in the woodshop as it is when framing or doing other construction. But still, I got addicted to them long ago and I can't really stand to use other tapes.

Kevin Groenke
11-09-2009, 6:52 PM
My favorite tape is the old style Stanley LeverLock: 3/4"x16' for me. For in-the-shop use, a 1" or wider tape is too heavy/clumsy for me, but a 1/2" tape is not stiff enough. I've got a 30' of the same design for projects around the house. I find the LeverLock design (squeeze to extend, release to lock) more intuitive and efficient than a tape that needs to be locked in it's extended position. It looks like Stanley redesigned the LeverLock to a more ergonomic form, I haven't used on it that flavor so I can't comment to it's efficacy.

Whatever tape you end up with, try to use the same one from the start-to-end of individual projects, you'd be surprised how different one tape is from another (even the same make and model).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411ZWWR2NEL._SL500_AA280_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416ZQ4CKX9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Greg Portland
11-09-2009, 6:57 PM
For cabs and shelves I prefer a story stick vs using a tape measure (greater accuracy & repeatability).

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2009, 7:23 PM
The only comment I have on tape measures is........

Make sure you get one with some sort of intelligent case dimension. That way when you're using it for inside measure you won't have to add 3 11/32" to the tape indication.

Come on designers, how difficult can it be to have a 3" or 4" case on a tape?

regards, Rod.

Roger Jensen
11-09-2009, 7:39 PM
Amen. The old ones had nice one-inch increments. Talk about making things needlessly confusing.

Robert Chapman
11-09-2009, 8:49 PM
+1 for the Lefty/Righty

Chuck Isaacson
11-09-2009, 9:15 PM
I like the FastCap, either Pro Carpenter, or the Lefty-Righty. I use the Lefty-Righty mostly in the shop. Check Rockler, maybe even Woodcrafters.

I am a big fan of the Lefty-Righty. I use mine non-stop. It is the only one that I use.... Ever..

CHuck

Steve Clardy
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Big Johnson 16' tapes, purchased from Amazon.
All 4 of them are identical when you compare them.

I have 5-6 Fastcaps around here somewhere. They were all different/off when comparing them on a 36" steel rule.

johnny means
11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I know it sounds silly, but I have tried most of them and can't find one I really like. I do all of my work in a shop, measuring cabinets and shelving.

Just curious if anyone has a strong recommendation.

Thanks,

Roger

Might help if you clarified what it is that you disliked about your previous tape measures.

Kent A Bathurst
11-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Not an exact response, but something to consider- I realized a while back that it is very rare for me to need a tape longer than 10' in my shop. So, I started using Lufkin 1/2" x 10' Hi-Viz (hunter orange) with a plastic case. They are small enough and lightweight enough to comfortably fit in my pocket. Plus, they are cheap. So I got a half-dozen. I can't tell you were they all are, but at any given moment in the shop I can easily spot at least 4 of those bright orange suckers scattered around. They are like Hansel + Gretel's breadcrumbs. Been a couple years since I had to walk across the shop to retrieve a tape (much less hunt for one).

I check the accuracy against the Starrett combo square every so often, and have never had a problem with them holding true. I have the basic metal-case Stanley 12', 16', and 25' with the thumb lock in a drawer for when I need a longer one.

Josh Reet
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
The only comment I have on tape measures is........

Make sure you get one with some sort of intelligent case dimension. That way when you're using it for inside measure you won't have to add 3 11/32" to the tape indication.

Come on designers, how difficult can it be to have a 3" or 4" case on a tape?

regards, Rod.

Send an email to the Fastcap owner guy. That sounds like something that would be right up his alley.

Dan Manning
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Stanley 12' I have 3 either in my tool box, or the work bench or the missus has 1 for the drapes, etc. Sometimes the clip will fumble around trying to clip on to the belt, so in the pocket it goes...

Talking about tips, I often check the steel tip, especially if I accidently drop/knock it of the shelf. If it's bent inward, every measurement will be off when inside measuring, then cutting actual piece...