PDA

View Full Version : New Old G0490

Bill Fitch
11-09-2009, 3:32 PM
Started to unpack the G0490 jointer this weekend. I was missing a washer to put the wheel on the stand, so I did not get very far. I called Grizzly since I cannot find any 8mm black oxide flat washers near me at all. They needed the serial number, and sure enough it is on the stand. While getting that number, I noticed the date was 2008-02. Does that mean the jointer was manufactured February of 2008? So, it has been sitting in a warehouse for 1 year and 8 months? I would have figured they turn their inventory a bit quicker than that.

On another note, I asked Grizzly if they could send me an additional 8 of the washers as I wanted to use them to mount the jointer bed. I figured that a nickel a piece they would just send them along with the one missing one. But no, they are $1 each and they need an additional $7.70 shipping. This is after I spent a grand on the jointer? I said no thanks.

The jointer itself looks to be in good shape. Obviously, it is not completed yet, so I won't know for sure until than. More later...

glenn bradley
11-09-2009, 6:26 PM
Who is that customer service person? There will be 99 great Grizzly CS experiences and then that person, who ever they are, gets the call and acts like a goof. Bummer. I'm going to assume there is no HD or Lowes nearby as they carry those washer sizes although not in black.

I too used fender washers where the tool mounted to the stand. I just like spreading the load out which is what I imagine you are after.. You may want to search some of the threads here for other tips like closing off the chute to improve chip collection and raising the belt guard to stop the "slap" at start up and shutdown.

Bill Fitch
11-09-2009, 8:11 PM
Actually, there is a Lowes nearby, but they onlyl have zinc plated washers in 8mm. Since everything else is black oxide, I just wanted to be consistent, and then I don't have to worry about disimilar metals.

I am also interested in the age of other's tools when they receive them. The manual on the Grizzly site is for G0490s built after 3/09, so there must have been some improvements. I am a little bummed getting something so old. Heck, I was worried about getting the cosmoline off soon so it wouldn't harden, guess that is a non-issue!

Does anyone know what changes might have occurred in the G0490 from early 2008 to the present?

Is the dust chute fully enclosed now? Mine is open on the top.

Paul Cahill
11-09-2009, 9:40 PM
Just received G0490 - actually replacement as I refused the initial delivery due to damage. Manufacture date is 2008-04. The dust chute is enclosed.

Bill Fitch
11-09-2009, 9:44 PM
Paul,
Can you post a picture of your dust chute before you put it together?

Thanks,
Bill

Paul Cahill
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Bill,
Photos attached.

Paul

Matt Kestenbaum
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I noticed the date was 2008-02. Does that mean the jointer was manufactured February of 2008? So, it has been sitting in a warehouse for 1 year and 8 months? I would have figured they turn their inventory a bit quicker than that.

I can't speak to Grizzly products or their supply chain, but having done a fair amount of business marketing imported consumer goods from the far east...it is a very, very slow supply chain. The products I managed molded plastic with small motors so faster build, but they are in every Walmart, Target, Drug store and grocery store in North America....read as really fast shelf velocity (inventory turn over) compared to anything except choc chip cookies and potato chips.

From plant in Shenzen or Guangzho, FOB Hong Kong, slow boat, change to rail head in Long Beach, train to a location where they can break down container shipping into pallets and store in a DC...you are talking easily six months. Manufacturing will stop completely for a month in February for new year. 6 months of iron on hand seems prudent for Grizzly...so a year or 14 months would seem normal manu-consumer. In a recession they have some excess inventory? I imagine their forecasts the planned on in '07 for '08 manufacture were a tad long.

Bill Fitch
11-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Paul,
I can't tell exactly from your picture, but it does look like mine. If you were to reach in the dust port side of the stand, can your hand come out through the upper triangle in your first photo? On mine you can.

I have read that others have closed off their chute to improve dust collection. I would definitely have to do that on mine. I can't tell if this has already been done on yours or not.

Thanks,
Bill

glenn bradley
11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm with Bill. I think if you try to put your hand on the top of that 'enclosed' chute, you'll find there's no top. If there is, that's great. I'm glad they finally addressed that. If not; EZ fix. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=88751&d=1211053894)

Paul Cahill
11-10-2009, 6:51 PM
Bill: the top of the chute is indeed open and I will need to cover it like others have. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

Rick Bunt
11-12-2009, 9:53 AM
Like several others have reported on SMC, I too elected to close in the top of the dust chute. I had a bit of an aversion to making a permanent modification to my new tool with epoxy or bolts lest I not like the results, so I took a slightly different approach. I took a 8 1/2” by 11” piece of 3/4” plywood and cut 45 degree bevels on the short ends. I then slid it up inside the dust chute and angled it up on top of the chute (like a hat). I marked the board where the side edges met the plywood and took it back out. I cut about 1/4” deep saw kerfs on the table saw just on and inside the lines. One side of my dust chute was at an angle, so I had to cut one kerf at a 2-3 degree angle. I also sanded and waxed the inside surface of the plywood. When I put the plywood top back on the dust chute it sat down on the sides pretty snugly. I glued the two 45 degree angle cut-offs to the main piece of plywood to fill in the 1/2” gap at the upper end of my top. That effectively locked it in place, but did not permantly attach it to my way of thinking (ie, it could be removed and not leave any trace behind on the tool). My dust / chip collection from jointer works great like this--though in fairness I did not test it without the enclosure to compare.

Hope this may be of some help,
-Rick