PDA

View Full Version : Tool Auction

Shawn Battagler
09-29-2004, 9:48 AM
I'm sorry I didn't post about this a few days ago to give you guys a chance to come down for it, but I really didn't know it would be as good as it was. There were guys from Oklahoma, New Mexico!, Texas, Iowa... There were a number of bids phoned in from Australia before the auction. Lots of bench planes - Stanley No. 1, four #2's, a miter shootboard, and lots of various specialty planes. There were also some really nice English infills. Not to mention all the tables full of saws, braces, chisels, gauges, etc.

Since most of the serious buyers were very picky collector types, there were some great deals to be had on users. I picked up a very decent #40 for around $20 and a Craftsman low-angle knuckle joint cap (Stanley 65 type) for $12.

I also had a great time talking with some very knowledgeable tool guys. You know the type who can look at a tool and tell you 20 different ways a tool isn't collectable, but why a certain piece on it is still worth $50. Lotta fun.

Alan Turner
09-29-2004, 12:16 PM
I couldn't agree more. There is much to be learned from collectors, and old tool hounds, who hang around these auctions. I have learned a great deal at such events, and even bought a few tools myself. Great fun to be had there.
Alan