PDA

View Full Version : Small show coming

dennis kranz
11-09-2009, 2:33 PM
I am going to do a very small show where my wife works. Any help on priceing would be great. Show is for employees and family only. not expecting any kind of sales but trying to show what I have. Don't want to be cheap but would like to be fair.
All about 6 X 2 1/2
3rd one has a nail in it
If you know what kind of wood it is please tell.
Dennis

Steve Trauthwein
11-09-2009, 3:24 PM
Looks like walnut and two pieces of honey locust. How many items are you going to have in the show? I wouldn't go any lower than $65 and the price of the insert on these pieces.

Regards, Steve

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2009, 9:39 PM
I can't sell those in my area for $65. I generally get around $35 to $45 for them.

David E Keller
11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I've not turned or sold any of those but I agree with Bernie about the price range. Not sure what the inserts cost but I generally triple the cost of materials and use that as a starting point for pricing. After that, I'll add to the price if the piece is particular difficult or time consuming. eBay and etsy are also good websites to get a general idea for pricing, although I usually add to the prices I find there. I'm pretty much a hobby turner, so I'm not trying to make a living with the things I sell. Don't underprice them or you'll have people calling you for the next few years wanting more things at the low price... I learned that the hard way, as I'm still making ten dollar pens for a few folks after selling a few at that price a couple of years ago.

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Dennis - good luck with your show! I would think $45 would be a fair price and close to mid-range of what one would expect to pay for custom items.

Reed Gray
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Being in Tucson, you can probably get higher prices than in other areas of the country, so the $60 range isn't too out of line. You can always mark prices down. Raising prices after they have been posted is more difficult. The last piece looks like maple to me.

robo hippy