PDA

View Full Version : Jointer get lowered

Bart Leetch
09-29-2004, 12:01 AM
My Jointer sets next to my bench & Table-saw so it must be low enough that the fence is below the level of the Table-saw top. So I have started a new base cabinet that will make this possible. It is made of Alder for the face frame & top banding & 3/4" satin-ply plywood with 1/4" Masonite banded by Alder. It will have a dust chute & doors yet to be made & the motor mounted using a link belt, I still need to install the switch & wiring. Then this base & the Table-saw base will be sanded & wiped down with Watco Fruit-wood wipe on finish.

So take a look & tell me what you think.

Sparky Paessler
09-29-2004, 7:59 AM
Looks great Bart! It gives me some ideas for what I need to do for my jointer.
Thanks!

Don Abele
09-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Bart, I wanted to put my jointer next to my tablesaw as well. But discovered the same thing - too high. I just moved it to the other side of the shop and never thought about it again (thinking there was nothing I could do). You, though, put on the ol' thinkin' cap and came up with an excellent solution. Congrats and let us see the finished product and a report on how well it works.

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
09-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Looks good Bart. Excellent idea.

Steve

Jim Becker
09-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Looks like a great solution, Bart!

Jerry Olexa
09-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Great work! Good solution and looks good too!

Dave Richards
09-29-2004, 2:56 PM
Bart, that's a great idea. I really like the design. You're doing excellent work as usual.

Funny thing. I've often thought of making a base cabinet for my TS but it never occurred to me that the same could be done for the jointer.

Question(s)--where will you put the motor? Are you doing something inside the cabinet for chip/dust collection? Any chance of some detail shots of the inside?

Keep up the great work.

Dave

Bart Leetch
09-29-2004, 3:32 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Richards]Bart, that's a great idea. I really like the design. You're doing excellent work as usual.

Funny thing. I've often thought of making a base cabinet for my TS but it never occurred to me that the same could be done for the jointer.

Question(s)--where will you put the motor? Are you doing something inside the cabinet for chip/dust collection? Any chance of some detail shots of the inside?

Keep up the great work.

Dave
Maybe its hard to see or my photography isn't clear but what you are seeing is the inside wide open with no doors.
I will mock up the dust chute out of cardboard & then make & install it & then fit the motor & then the lip style doors & a small wooden tray to set inside for spare blade sets & tools. I'll post new pictures to this thread as I finish this project. :)

Dave Richards
09-29-2004, 3:46 PM
Bart, my apologies. I worded that poorly. The stuff you're working on--dust chute, etc. is what I'm interested in seeing. Will the motor be mounted on the bottom of the cabinet?

JayStPeter
09-29-2004, 3:50 PM
At 6'3", my solution was to raise the table saw :). You're solution looks rather nice though.

Jay

Wes Bischel
09-29-2004, 3:53 PM
Bart,
Neat idea - unfortunately for me, to get the jointer fence low enough to clear the TS top, the jointer table would only be about 28" off the floor. :( Even for a vertically challenged guy like me that's a bit too low. What a bummer, because I could easily store the jointer in that corner under the TS otherwise.

Or, I could be missing something - wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:
Wes

Bart Leetch
09-29-2004, 7:17 PM
Bart, my apologies. I worded that poorly. The stuff you're working on--dust chute, etc. is what I'm interested in seeing. Will the motor be mounted on the bottom of the cabinet?

Yes Dave the motor will be mounted on the bottom of the cabinet. I'm thinking of mounting it so that I can tighten a bolt on one side to tension the Link belt.

Bart,
Neat idea - unfortunately for me, to get the jointer fence low enough to clear the TS top, the jointer table would only be about 28" off the floor. :( Even for a vertically challenged guy like me that's a bit too low. What a bummer, because I could easily store the jointer in that corner under the TS otherwise.

Or, I could be missing something - wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:
Wes

Wes

My jointer working surface is 32" . I am 5'9 1/2". The jointer fence top is at 36" & the table-saw top is 36 1/2". I have a bad lower back & have no problem with either the 32" or 36 1/2" height. I think it just depends on the type of operation I'm performing. Oh the Jointer won't fit under the Table-saw wing in my shop either mainly because the Table-saw base is 57" long & the Jointer is to high. :)

Maybe you could make a base for your Table-saw of a height that would make it possible for you to make a Jointer base of the right height to be high enough for you to work at & yet fit under the edge of the Table-saw wing. :)

Bruce Page
09-29-2004, 8:24 PM
Bart, nice looking cabinet, but it would kill my back joinning that low!:eek:

Bart Leetch
09-29-2004, 8:47 PM
Thanks Bruce.

How tall are you? :)

Bruce Page
09-29-2004, 8:50 PM
Thanks Bruce.

How tall are you? :)
The last time I checked, about 6'3" - shrinking with age :(

Gredo Goldenstein
09-29-2004, 8:52 PM
Beautiful cabinet and a great idea! Nice work :)

Wes Bischel
09-30-2004, 2:35 PM
Bart,

I knew I must be missing something :rolleyes: . Not having the jointer under the TS would make a difference. My jointer also has a knob sticking up above the fence that could be shortened. The TS could go up a few inches (a new base is on the to do list), but then I need to move my main bench up as well (main bench = TS outfeed table).

I'll think this one through some more - maybe a winter project.

Wes

Dan Mages
09-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Looks wonderful!! As they say in the hot rod community, praise the lowered!

Dan

Bart Leetch
10-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Hello everyone.

Well its finially finished & here are the pics. So let me know what you think.

Norman Hitt
10-12-2004, 2:37 AM
Verrrrrrrrry Nice Bart, both units.
One other thing you can do, (which you've probably already thought about), is to make a (jig or fixture I guess you Could call it) by cutting two pieces of 3/4" ply about the length of the jointer bed and just wide enough that when they are setting on edge on the jointer bed, with a piece of plywood fastened across the top of them, it would be exactly level with the tablesaw top.

If you then position your jointer at the left side of the TS, and clamp the jig to the Jointer fence to hold it in place, you will have a very good left side TS extension to use when cutting large sheet material. It's pretty effective. (You might want to laminate a piece of formica or hardboard to the top piece of plywood though to make it slicker and adjust the width of the other two plywood pieces to keep the height right)

Steve Jenkins
10-12-2004, 7:57 AM
Looks good Bart. How's that truck coming? Steve

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 8:10 AM
Looks super, Bart! Great cabinet and it does exactely what you need it to do...support the jointer in such a way that it's usable but does not interfere with other tools. Neat!

Bart Leetch
10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Norm thanks for the info but I don't usually cut full sheets of plywood on the table-saw I am fortunate in that I was able to purchase a full sized DeWalt panel saw for $100. :)

You can see it here.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=859