PDA

View Full Version : New Toy coming soon...

Stephen Beckham
11-09-2009, 9:06 AM
Well, growing tired of my four year old laptop with only 1 Gig of RAM and spending a lot of my day in a click-n-wait mode....

I jumped into a big workstation. Dual - Quad processors with 4 Gig of ram and Windows 7. Video capable for four monitors, currently using two, but want a third for the customer to look at versus having them come behind my desk. Haven't come up with a use for a forth one, but heck with what I put into it, can't afford another one right now anyway...

I expect it to do functions a nanosecond before I click the mouse now...:D

Can't wait - it's due in the day before turkey day - guess I'll have something to work on over the holiday...

Dee Gallo
11-09-2009, 9:26 AM
Nothing better than getting a new toy.... enjoy it!

Frank Corker
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Cool, with all that ram it'll be able to crash quicker!

Dan Hintz
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
All of that and only 4 Gigs? Piker...

Garrett Nors
11-09-2009, 2:02 PM
All of that and only 4 Gigs? Piker...

I was going to say the same thing :D

My Q6600 machine upstairs has 12gb :eek:

George Brown
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
I was going to say the same thing :D

My Q6600 machine upstairs has 12gb :eek:

And to think, I used to program a machine to do all sorts of things, and it had only 32K of ram:eek:

Scott M Smith
11-10-2009, 4:34 AM
No kidding. My first PC i built had 256 MB ram in it and costs $80. I just built one at the beginning of the year and put 4GB and only spent $50!

Dan Hintz
11-10-2009, 7:49 AM
My first PC i built had 256 MB ram in it and costs $80.
You must be a young'un ;) My first (real) PC (not the small micros I had beforehand) had a grand total of 16MB (I think, could have been 8MB), 256-color graphics card (probably 64-128kB), 80MB hard drive, etc. Somewhere around 25-33MHz clock speed, I think (though I've been through so many systems it's tough to keep track so far back). I took out a loan to purchase it, and if memory serves it was somewhere in the area of $2k. I later installed a math coprocessor so I could run AutoCAD to the tune of another $200 cash (may have been more).

Now entire systems (and good ones, too) can be had for twice the price of that coprocessor.

Scott Shepherd
11-10-2009, 8:59 AM
Commodore 64 here. Plugged into the TV and had a cassette tape drive on it :)

Tim Bateson
11-10-2009, 9:08 AM
I still remember using 5M hard drives. That's right only 5 Meg. I upgraded to a 10M HD and the sales lady wanted to know what I was going to do with all of that disk space! :eek: lol ... and a 128k memory upgrade cost me $110.

Stephen Beckham
11-10-2009, 9:08 AM
Still have an IBM first Laptop in the barn. Has to 5 1/4 floppies a nine inch amber screen and 8 K of RAM. No hard drive and weighes about 57 lbs. Bought it for $25 just for nostalgia's sake.

I did cut short on the RAM. Opted for the high speed 4 Gig versus the lower speed more affordable RAM. I know I'll be upgrading, but for now, the jump will take me from Mach speed of a Turtle to Light or even a Warp speed in relation to what I had. Besides, I'm hitting the high 90% of RAM usage at 1G, so I'm not so sure that I'll be capable yet to task out 90% of 4 Gigs yet.

Besides, jumping into this was a big leap for me - oh and BTW - just got a message from Dell this morning that it has already shipped - either their slow with orders right now so plenty of time for the builders to put it together... Or I must have just hit the Lotto... (Bad pun since the T7500's nickname is the Lotto).

Brian Jacobs
11-10-2009, 9:16 AM
Mine was a Radioshack TRS-80 with cassette tape for storage, 4K ram, 1.77mhz CPU. Paid over $500. We cut a few leads and added a jumper to double the clock rate. It was SCREAMING. I thought I was in heaven when I purchased an Apple II (serial #000902). (A friend of mine still has that unit.) Learned to program by figuring out how "Bugs" (Space Invaders) jumped across the screen.

Dennis McGarry
11-10-2009, 9:26 AM
Vic-20 here, Brand new day it was released, I was 8. total cost at the time for the system, cassette drive, printer, monitor was a little over 1500.00

The moved through all the c='s and even ran a multi line BBS system from the 128d system, 4 lines with ability to chat on the bbs between users.

Oh and internet? ya right, was all BBS's and later compuserve, 300k baud rates! Whew flying there!

Still have around 20-30 complete commodore systems in storage, heck a 128 or a 64 can now use up to 128mb ram, and with the lt kernal external hd, can goto a 30gb drive. even mods to use a 56.6 modem for surfing..:)

But I am sure your new system will be just fine as well :) :) :)

Grats!

Dave Russell Smith
11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, growing tired of my four year old laptop with only 1 Gig of RAM and spending a lot of my day in a click-n-wait mode....

I jumped into a big workstation. Dual - Quad processors with 4 Gig of ram and Windows 7. Video capable for four monitors, currently using two, but want a third for the customer to look at versus having them come behind my desk. Haven't come up with a use for a forth one, but heck with what I put into it, can't afford another one right now anyway...

I expect it to do functions a nanosecond before I click the mouse now...:D

Can't wait - it's due in the day before turkey day - guess I'll have something to work on over the holiday...

Good luck with windows 7 been getting use to mine now for 2 weeks :rolleyes: it seems faster but I've had a few hiccups running older software. I've not tried it on the laser yet :eek:

doug king
11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Now this is someting I know a little bit about....

I started on a commodore 64 and moved to a commodore 128 (Man was I impressed when I got it). I had a TRS80 then when I started school I was on an IBM AT with 8mb ram and two 5.25 drives, one for the OS and the other for data. The first PC I ever bought was a Hewlet Packard 33 MHZ with a turbo button that boosted processing to 40mhz :cool:

Through the years I have built many many systems for myself but all that is over. You can buy a great machine turn key from Dell and have it at your door with a warranty in 3 days.

I now use a Dell precision line with quad core, 12 gig of ram and 3 500 gig drives in RAID 5. My wife bought me a Dell 30inch monitor a year ago and the resolution and real estate is awesome.... I have two ATI 8800 video cards connected together (SLI) so the graphics are unbelievable.

My laptop is also Dell and is a M6400 quad core with 4 gig of RAM, two internal hard drives and a screen that is fantastic... (Remember technology is what I do)

4 Gig of ram and Windows 7
Be prepared for only being able to use 3 gig of ram if you bought Windows 7 32bit..... Only a 64 bit OS can use more than 3 gig of RAM....

Scott Shepherd
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Vic-20 here, Brand new day it was released, I was 8. total cost at the time for the system, cassette drive, printer, monitor was a little over 1500.00

I stand corrected, it was the Vic-20 I had too! Not the 64, the Vic-20!

Dan Hintz
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
My wife bought me a Dell 30inch monitor a year ago...
She have a sister? :p

Bill Cunningham
11-10-2009, 9:48 PM
Hmmm started with the original Altair (I programed it to flash three lights in sequence..wow!), then a H8..(040100 the octal starting point and the 'go' button is still burned into 'my' memory) 24 k of memory from Godbout Engineering in Calif. cost me almost $900 and I had to build the things myself.. They each had 100 2102's and could actually keep my coffee warm.. I still have in my storage room a H8 w/monitor and printer, a R.S. CoCoII, a TRS-80Mod4, and a Timex sinclair. A friend of mine actually programed the stunt box in a ASR28 RTTY machine to flush the toilet on remote command from any other RTTY machine on the 20 meter band..Ahh them were the days:rolleyes: