PDA

View Full Version : Menards Baltic Birch

Chuck Isaacson
11-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I just wanted to share the experience that I had with some baltic birch that I bought from Menards. I don't know if it really qualifies as baltic birch because I thought that it only came in 5x5 sheets. Well, this was a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" thick "baltic birch." It had I think 7 plys. Real sturdy stuff. It had two B grade faces and had almost no voids. I think that I only found one or two in all the pieces that I cut. I used it to make six drawers for my shop cabinets. It cost about $52 a sheet. I know that it is a little more expensive, but in my eyes, it is worth every penny. I will definitely be buying more of this in the future. I am also interested in seeing what the 3/4" is all about. I have some jigs that I need to make so I may pick up a sheet to keep for that. That is all that i had to say. I highly recommend this product. Let me know your experiences.

CHuck

Paul Mattaliano
11-09-2009, 9:58 AM
+1
I'm completely satisfied with the 3/4" I've purchased

Scott Schwake
11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
+2 on the 3/4" from Menards, here's some I used for my workbench.

Paul Ryan
11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I have also been very happy with their birch plywood. The USA made stuff. If you get the "high quality" chinese made stuff they also sell, that is not so good. My local menards does actually sell true 5x5 sheets of baltic birch but it was pretty exepensive compared to the 7 ply made in the USA birch plywood. I usually buy 4x8 sheets of birch for $38 a sheet.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I have some that is pretty good stuff too. The sheet that was on top of it on the stack at the store looked like a potato chip though, so look before you buy.

Dan Friedrichs
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
After spending YEARS of my childhood being bored out of my mind in Menards while my parents built their house, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but: I wish there was a Menards by where I live now :(

Mr. Jeff Smith
11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
After spending YEARS of my childhood being bored out of my mind in Menards while my parents built their house, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but: I wish there was a Menards by where I live now :(

You and me both Dan.

Mike Heidrick
11-09-2009, 1:45 PM
I enjoy working with Menards BB as well as their other hardwood plywoods. I have bought tons of their red oak and maple ply as well.

Denny Rice
11-09-2009, 2:29 PM
I have some that is pretty good stuff too. The sheet that was on top of it on the stack at the store looked like a potato chip though, so look before you buy.

I agree...The last time I purchased a decent sheet at Menards, I had to go down 4 or 5 sheets to get a "quality" looking sheet.

Steve Bishop
11-09-2009, 3:32 PM
Never had a problem with the Mendards BB.
I've used the 1/2" and 3/4", wasn't disappointed with either.
Now I have found the store staff doesn't always know what BB is, so sometimes there is regular birch plywood in the same stack. It does pay to look through the stack for a prime piece, the one on the top usually isn't it.

Another Mendards gem is the S2S oak, for about $3/BF. The selection and quantity isn't the greatest but the turn over is almost weekly. So if you only need a couple of boards it works out.

Steve

Rich Aldrich
11-09-2009, 7:53 PM
I havent had an issue with Menards 3/4" oak or birch, but I have had 1/2 birch separate at one of the inner layers after cutting. I poured some Titebond II between the layers and glued it back together. I used it for my shop cabinets. This would not go in a paying customer's cabinets. I didnt think to try to return it.

All I could find at Menards is B-2 grade.

I have since had the same problem with some A-1 from a lumber yard. They replaced the sheet. Their prices are higher, but handle A-1 and are easy to work with.

Chuck Isaacson
11-09-2009, 9:20 PM
I too have used a lot of their 3/4" red oak plywood and have had no problems what so ever. I made all of my shop cabinets with it. It finishes nice and cuts nice too. A little splintery when you crosscut it, but part of that is my fault cause I use a combo blade and not a crosscut or plywood blade. I would recommend it to anyone.

Chuck

Paul Ryan
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Never had a problem with the Mendards BB.

Another Mendards gem is the S2S oak, for about $3/BF. The selection and quantity isn't the greatest but the turn over is almost weekly. So if you only need a couple of boards it works out.

Steve

Be careful with their shink wraped oak garbage. I have bought some pieces and find it is planed to exactly 3/4 which is normal. But some of the board are so warped that it will be 1/4 by the time you get the twists or cups out of it. I only buy their S2S lumber it is thicker and usually better and less money. When it goes on sale you can usually get it for less than $3 bd ft. I still find going to the local mill a much better investment of your time and money on hardwood than menards. And I will never buy any lumber, plywood or solid from Lowes or HD.

David Perata
11-10-2009, 12:46 AM
My local Menards also has some very nice looking 3/4 Baltic Birch ply. The top one isn't a keeper but the stuff under that seems very straight. I need to buy a piece and am glad I saw this post.

Rick Fisher
11-10-2009, 6:32 AM
I love BB Ply..

Cut a bunch up on the weekend..

When you work with Baltic Birch ply ( Russian not China) .. you just know your using a quality product.

Rod Sheridan
11-10-2009, 8:40 AM
I love BB Ply..

Cut a bunch up on the weekend..

When you work with Baltic Birch ply ( Russian not China) .. you just know your using a quality product.

Very true, I went to the local sawmill last Saturday and purchased some 18mm BB for shop cabinets.

The Russian material is very good indeed.

Regards, Rod.