PDA

View Full Version : Checking on for the first time

doug king
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and start off on the right foot. I am expecting to spend an unbelievable amount of time on this forum. I own a very successful motorcyle forum much like this one. We have been making and selling screen print shirts for several years. We have been looking at expanding into some other areas of merchandise and a laser seemed to fit perfectly. We dropped the cash for a new Epilog Helix this past week and are expecting it in before Christmas. I have been lurking around here for several weeks gathering information about lasers, projects, and trying to make great decisions based off your experiences. I have a captive audience on the forum and I am going to be putting in a lot of time working to get images of motorcycles on wood and also on anodized aluminum. There is definately a market there and since I have a loyal base I am expecting some great things. So I have a good business plan, we have been running as a business for 10 years on the Internet and we have a good marketing plan, we ordered a good laser now I just need a little talent :eek:

I hope you all will be patient with me and I promise I will use the search on this forum before I ask a redundant newbie question. I was really relieved to see that there are so many talented folks out there in this area willing to help others out... I hope to learn from you, then share my experiences and information with others as time goes on...

Glad to be here!

Doug

Randy Digby
11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Welcome Doug,
I am failrly new here but this forum has been a great help to me and I know you get good info here. Good luck on the business expansion.
Randy

Bruce Petron
11-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Hello Doug

The first time a saw a laser in action was a bike show. The fellow was had a large varity of motorcycle clip art for wooden key chains, clip art on one side and name on the other. $6.00 Good luck in your new adventure.
Bruce

Jerry Hewett
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Welcome Doug!

We have had our Laser since August and have received so much information and ideas from the great folks on this forum.

We wish you well in your new endevor!

doug king
11-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks folks, I am a firm believer in participation and giving back to the community. Since my forum is my business I am online almost all day, this forum is now my new favorite place to go to post and find solutions and ideas... I don't want to come on too strong but this Internet thing is exactly what we do....

Doug

Scott Erwin
11-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Welcome to SMC...
You will find everyone here to be very helpful and willing to help.
The one thing I can suggest is to search SMC before you post a question. You will be surprised about how many times the question has been answered and not all the same way. Not to say the question you have has been asked but look first. -- If you dont like the answer or have more questions, ask away. Someone will help you I am sure.

They have been helpful to me that is for sure.

Mike Null
11-09-2009, 7:31 AM
Doug

Welcome to SMC. Good luck with the new machine.

Dee Gallo
11-09-2009, 9:35 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Doug! I'm interested in seeing what kinds of items you make for your customers, other than T-shirts, since we often have discussions here about that topic. I'm sure you have good insight into what the market is looking for. Make sure you find the posts about cermark on motorcycle parts (Frank Corker did a beautiful series of drawings on one in particular) to see what your laser can do besides small keychains and such.

cheers, dee

Frank Corker
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the Creek Doug, I too will interested in what you end up doing most, but there is time for that. Just enjoy the toy for your learning curve.

Ron Wiik
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
If you get it by Christmas, here is an ornament you can try.

Belinda Barfield
11-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Welcome Doug! I'm one of the members here who takes more than I can ever hope to give back. The beauty of this forum? No one seems to mind! The people here are great! Good to have you on board and I look forward to learning from you as well.

Dan Hintz
11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm one of the members here who takes more than I can ever hope to give back. The beauty of this forum? No one seems to mind!
I take it you haven't received my bill yet...

Belinda Barfield
11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I take it you haven't received my bill yet...

I figured it would catch up with me sooner or later . . .

doug king
11-09-2009, 2:31 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome... Its a rough life I'm living right now... My job is to figure this laser out and make some stuff at my own pace. I worked in IT for the past 15 years as a director of research and development so getting the laser up and running should not be a problem. I have been working in photoshop for 10 years so there will be a small transition over to Corel but I chalk that up to one more thing I'll know and another tool in the toolbox. I have a good idea of a couple of things that we will be doing to make and sell but honestly my biggest obstacle is going to be creativeness. Since I have been lurking around this forum and on the Epilog website I have seen things that I would have never thought of to do. I am a very analytical thinker, fortunately my wife is very very craftsy and has lots of ideas, unfortunately this also means that I must start listening to her :)

We have the exhaust and air assist all done, ( my best friend owns a plumbing / heating and air company) and we have the electrical completed to shut off the ventilation that is installed in the attic at the flip of a switch... Now all I need is the shipping company to show up with a box for me so I can get started...

Doug

Belinda Barfield
11-09-2009, 2:38 PM
Now all I need is the shipping company to show up with a box for me so I can get started... Doug

Doug, if you have a cat bring it over to the monitor . . .

Psst . . . hey cat . . . listen, when that big box arrives don't follow your instincts and get all curious. No one on this forum has every managed to catch and mark a cat. I don't want Doug to be the first. So, when that big box gets there run as fast as you can and hide under the bed!

Dan Hintz
11-09-2009, 3:08 PM
Doug,

If you decide to engrave photos, that PhotoShop experience will come in handy. Not everything we do requires Corel experience.

doug king
11-09-2009, 3:13 PM
Doug,

If you decide to engrave photos, that PhotoShop experience will come in handy. Not everything we do requires Corel experience.

That is the number one thing I plan to do.... Thanks for the good news....

Marc Myer
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Doug,

In fact, Rodne Gold has donated some incredible R&D to us for using Photoshop to optimize files for engraving. It's called the Gold Method, and can be found in the archives.