PDA

View Full Version : Disk sander and PSA sand paper?????????

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I bought a Grizzly 12" disc and OSS and it works great! Question? How do you remove sand paper that has PSA?

Will using a heat gun help?

Mike Cruz
11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Sorry, assuming the PSA are the ones that are self sticky, you just get an edge to start coming off and peel it! I think you have to remove the table. Not positive, though.

If that fails, a sand blaster ought to do the job!

glenn bradley
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Ken, if the paper has been on a short time, as Mike says; grab an edge and pull gently and contentiously. If it has been awhile, some heat will help. If it has been too long I slice the face with a razor knife, position the surface (disc, whatever) with the paper up and pour a little naphtha on and let it soak. then pour some more and go at it with a putty knife or (cringe) a paint scraper.

Mike Cruz
11-09-2009, 8:48 AM
Yeah, you may have to use some solvent to get off any excess glue and (yes cringe) use a putty knife or scraper to GENTLY scrape off all the lovely residue...have paper towels handy!

John Coloccia
11-09-2009, 9:39 AM
In the good 'ole days, I just yanked the paper off and cleaned off the residue with MEK. These days, I heat it up with a heat gun (industrial ones on LOW, but I use a Monokote heat gun on High), and it usually loosens up and comes right off. Then I get off the rest with a bit of acetone. I wear gloves and a respirator.

I tried GooGone once, and it worked, but I still have to go back and clean it with acetone. I had a little trouble getting the new PSA to stick without the additional cleaning. YMMV.

Gary Herrmann
11-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Another vote for naptha and a (flexible) putty knife.

Lee Schierer
11-09-2009, 5:27 PM
Lacking a heat gun, take any piece of wood and sand with the worn out paper for a couple of minutes, stop and it will peel right off.

Phil Thien
11-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Lacking a heat gun, take any piece of wood and sand with the worn out paper for a couple of minutes, stop and it will peel right off.

+1. That's how we were told in shop class.

Steve Clardy
11-09-2009, 10:40 PM
If the paper backing that stays on the disc is fairly consistent in thickness, I just put another disc over it.
When that one wears out, the previous paper that was on it usually comes off .